Monday, August 1, 2016

Jenn's Journey


A new month! Around here, August is full of celebrations. My daughter and I have birthdays two days apart. We are excited! I pray this month brings excitement for you as well. Thanks for joining me today. Grab your favorite summer drink and let's chat.
My job as a dental hygienist can be very challenging. Not only do I clean teeth, but I educate people on better oral care, figure out what motivates each person to improve oral health, and ease dental phobias. I've done this job for 22 years. The best part is working with people. The worst part is working with people! I've learned a lot about human nature though, I will say!
I find it hard to tell patients what they need to change in order to improve their health. I don't want to sound as if I'm berating, or negative. I usually try to find something they are doing right and capitalize on that. Well, the other day, I told a patient that her teeth are beautiful. She looked at me in shock.  She said, "No one has ever told me that before." The look on her face was so happy. Then she told me, "My grandma always asks me if they told me how pretty my teeth are, today I can tell her yes!" For some reason, this almost gave me tears. 
Kind words…they mean a lot, don't they? My cousin makes a point of asking clerks how they are and chatting with them a little. She said it's amazing how many of them mention that it's rare a customer do that. I guess this kind of goes along with my blog of last week. Not only does it matter what we think about, it matters what we say. Sometimes I do have to tell a patient bad news about his or her teeth, and encourage a better job. It matters how I say it though. Isn't this true in life in general?
Our world could use kindness. A kind word, a thank you, and even just a smile can go far. Sometimes it's what we DON'T say. It's not necessary to say every thought that comes to mind, especially if it is not helpful to another. 
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

 "Be kind and compassionate to one another." Ephesians 4:32
Until next week, be blessed,


Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment