Monday, April 4, 2016

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
It’s a new week, a new month! Though we don't know what the future holds, we know Who holds the future. Isn't that an encouraging thought? May your day be a happy one! Thank you for stopping by for a few minutes to join me in my journey.

On Easter morning, I sat on my porch to read the story in the quiet of the early morning. Of course, I wanted to glory in the fact that Jesus was raised back to life after dying for us. After all, that is what this day is all about.

As I was reading, a different part of the story stood out to me. Perhaps it's because lately I have been quite distracted. I shared last week that sleeplessness has been haunting me for a few months. I am often tired so getting up early in the morning to have my quiet time has been more difficult. Or, maybe, the still small voice of God had something to say to me.
Remember at the Last Supper when Jesus predicted that one of His followers would betray Him? Well, He also predicted that Peter would disown Him that very night. Peter's response was, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." I read that and put myself in Peter's place. How would I feel hearing that from the Person I had followed and lived with for three years? Wouldn't I have the same response? It would be nearly impossible to imagine myself disowning a person I dearly loved. Yet, when the stakes were high a few hours later, it is just what Peter did. What happens next is heart-wrenching!

"He began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, ‘I do not know the man’!" [Matthew 26:74]

Can you even begin to imagine how sick Peter must have felt when he realized what he had done?

I have never disowned Jesus or swore that I was not a friend of His. But I have certainly put people, worries, and what I wanted in the place He should be in, even when I know what leaving Him out means for me.

This is so easy to do, isn't it? In Jeremiah 17:9 it says, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" It's why I have to stay the course of keeping Him first. I can't trust my heart to be left on its own. I guess that’s why Proverbs 4:23 gives us the instruction to guard our heart above all else because everything we do flows from it!

Until next week, be blessed,
JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment