Monday, May 25, 2015

Jenn's Journey from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Happy Memorial Day! We often use this day as a reason to vacation, barbecue or just have a day off..all good things. However, let's not forget the real reason behind it, and that is to remember those who have served our country. The sacrifice they and their families make is huge!! Send up a prayer of thanks will you? Thank YOU for joining me today!
I've written a lot recently about my daughter..but today I have some thoughts brought on by an experience at my 'other' job. I am a dental hygienist, as a matter of fact, I graduated 21 years ago this Memorial Weekend. Wow, where has that time gone? I enjoy my job because of the people I get to meet and talk with. Somehow I manage to get in some conversation with most of my patients in between the scraping and polishing. I've met some wonderful and unique people throughout my career..oh the stories I can tell. :)
The other day I had a patient whose treatment required anesthetic. She'd put off her dental appointments which resulted in needing a 'deeper' cleaning which would cause some extra sensitivity and pain. I always attempt to make this procedure as pain free as possible and there are several ways to do just that. Well, the first option was not as successful as I'd hoped and the patient was still feeling pain. So, I had to go with plan B. Now that involved a shot, which most people despise, and I don't blame them, but in the end it numbs the gums and teeth so the patient can have a more comfortable experience. Just as I began to give her the injection, she refused it. She told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to touch her with 'that thing'. At this point I was not sure how to help her. She was frustrated, but told me that she would "just deal with it." I had no choice but to go ahead and treat her.
I found myself reflecting on this situation and it made me think. How often do I refuse help that is offered to me? How often do I say I will just deal with something rather than find a solution? Do I put up with unnecessary pain out of stubbornness? Oh, these questions sting! I can answer yes to all of them. I know that I have clung to old habits stubbornly, out of fear of letting them go. I have ignored that still, small voice showing me a new path. I've chosen my way over and over instead of opening my heart and mind to what God is showing me. I dare say you, my dear reader, can look back to some times you've done the same thing.
Thank God He is patient with us. Psalm 86:5 says "But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, Slow to anger and abundant in loving kindness and truth." He is right there, waiting until we are ready to take what He has to offer. If we care to avoid pain in the first place, He's given us the Ten Commandments..which were set up as a guideline for a happy and abundant life. Being human, as we are, He knew we'd fail or refuse them..and He has a plan for that too. There is a plan B. He has something for the pain. He says "“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
At the end of the appointment the other day, my patient said to me "Thank you so much for being patient with me and helping me." God is doing that for me..for you. All we have to do is accept!
Until next week, be blessed,
Jenn
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment