Monday, March 21, 2016

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Good morning! I am so glad you are here!  Have you ever paid attention to your prayers? I know this seems like a strange question. You're thinking, "Of course I do! I know exactly what I am praying for."

I ask this question because I had an experience the other day that made me think. It was a day when I had to get to work earlier than usual. The morning was rushed, making lunches, getting two little people up and ready for the day. My daughter doesn't favor being dropped off early. It took extra time to hug and encourage her to stay with the big kids until school started. I was feeling stressed, a little anxiety and worry about being late to see my first patient.

I left the school, and of course, hit morning traffic. It seemed I was behind every slow car in Redlands. As I pulled onto the freeway, I could see the traffic was very slow. I felt my blood pressure rise. This is when I shot off a quick prayer, "God, please make this traffic get out of the way." I was starting to feel mad, and words and thoughts came to mind that were not helping me stay calm. I took a deep breath and tried again…this time my prayer was "God, would you please give me Your peace. I feel worried that I will be late to work, and it's making me anxious." I felt calmer within seconds.

I think I've often prayed for things to change to benefit for “me” rather than for God to help me IN the situation. I know God changes situations sometimes, I've seen Him do it. But He's probably not going to reach down and move traffic out of the way!   I am wondering if perhaps we feel frustrated over unanswered prayers because we need to change what we pray for.

We're told we can bring anything before God, and I believe this. We can talk to Him as we would a friend. He wants to hear our needs and wants. He won't force His will onto people; however, what He will do is give us His peace and His joy in the journey, no matter what comes our way. This is the lesson I am learning in my life. It's making all the difference.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6,7

Until next week, be blessed,
JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment