Monday, March 28, 2016

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Here we are at Monday again! I pray that you had a beautiful Easter. We can appreciate this holiday so much more when we take the time to make the time to reflect on the gift God gave us in His Son! Thank you for joining me today.

I've been going through a season of sleeplessness. In fact, as I write this at 5 a.m., I've been awake since 3! It is very annoying to say the least. I am someone who likes, and needs, her sleep. While some people may get by on a few hours of sleep a night, I cannot. I can't think as clearly, and I get moody. I remember being a kid and my mom not wanting me to miss any sleep…now I know why: she probably didn't want deal with my moods!

I have tried to figure out what it is that keeps me awake. I can usually go to sleep just fine, but if something wakes me up, it's over. I lay there staring at the ceiling, willing myself to fall back asleep, or tossing and turning. I look at the clock and think only 2 hours until I have to get up anyway, which doesn't make me feel any better!  Why is it at night that every problem seems ten times bigger than it is? It's like worry has a life of its own at 3:0 in the morning.

A friend recently sent me an article that begins with, "According to the National Center for Health Statistics, single mothers, followed by single fathers, are most likely to have trouble falling and staying asleep." Ah, yes, I can relate. Worries about my daughter, her well-being, finances, thoughts of relationships, choices I've made or need to make, friendships, work…these are the monster thoughts that visit me in the dark.

Often, I pray while I am lay there. Last night, I counted my blessings and that did calm me enough to fall asleep for about an hour before the alarm went off. God reminded me of two verses that I have memorized and quoted often to myself through the years. I guess He knows I need a reminder!!! The first one can be found in Luke 12:25 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?"  Worrying certainly does not add a single hour to my night of rest!

The second verse, and perhaps one of my favorites, is 1 Peter 5:7 
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." He cares! In the middle of the night, when I feel most afraid and worried, I am not alone! I am eternally grateful for His consistent presence, for it’s in His presence that my mind, body and soul can rest!

Until next week, be blessed,
JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment