Friday, September 19, 2014

Tiny Compromises-from Jeff's Java Hour @ Chicklit Power

Hello out there. How are you guys? My mom says our coffee hours are going well. It’s good to hear; it really is. So I was brushing my teeth yesterday, because Saturday is the day that I brush my teeth – hmmm, why is it things come to me when I’m brushing my teeth? Actually, my mind is always going, but anyway, as I was brushing my teeth, I got to thinking: I don’t think that there is anything that is out there other than ministry that is truly fulfilling. I mean, think about it. If we aren’t serving each other, then we are not serving God; and if we aren’t serving God, then we are only serving ourselves. But wait a minute, didn’t God tell you and me to love our neighbor as we love ourselves? Did you know that neighbor translates to anyone you come in contact to?
My teeth-brushing went exceptionally longer than usual and I continued inside my head, thinking about how I compromise every day, even in the smallest thing, for example, watching a video on YouTube of one of my favorite shows like The Office, or something. :)
Now, that doesn’t sound bad, right? I am just watching a show on America’s new favorite entertainment medium; but what I failed to acknowledge is that the person who posted that video did so without the permission from the appropriate people; therefore that video is a copyright infringement, which means it’s up there illegally.
Now, I can hear you saying, Jeff, slow down. That is a little much. I mean, after all, you didn’t post it up there, right? Right! God says that He doesn’t even wink at our sin or sin period and we are to try to uphold that same standard as best as we can because it is the Holy Spirit who lives in us and gives us life and direction [John 6:63].
I realize that You Tube and ministry are not exactly related topics but I told you this because I believe God was showing me how insensitive my heart was to things like this because I have spent so long outside of ministry. Something tells me that’s about to change, but I’ll get to that in a bit. I remember being in Teen Challenge as an intern, serving the guys there, and realizing one night that there was nothing that this world had to offer other than serving others. My spirit was so sensitive in those days and even little compromises set off that alarm in my spirit saying, “danger, danger, Will Robinson, sin is in the camp.”
I couldn’t have imagined ever leaving ministry back then and God has recently given me the re-revelation of how important it is to serve our brothers and sisters in Christ and to be a servant to those who don’t know Him that we might show them that there is something different about us. I am eagerly waiting to answer this call. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, I filled out the “Serve” card, and it had several areas of ministry and then asked for me to check off any area(s) I would like to serve. Since I’m a coffee buff, I immediately checked off the coffee shop, and then in the “other” section, I just added, anywhere you need me.
Let’s see where that goes …
God, please never let me lose what it is that you want me to do. I never want to stray from your will for my life. And, God, I don’t know anything! I mean it; I know nothing in this life. Left to my own devices I am running around trying to save my own skin but so are You and You are the only one who knows how. I love you, God, and I need You. Please give me Your heart for other people that I may see them how You see them. Please give me a revelation of Your love so that it may move my heart to love others. Thank you, God.
Jeff's Java
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment