Friday, October 24, 2014

Power Fridays-Fan or Follower-from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

EL pen Logo with heart
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power…

I just love Fridays, don’t you? For most of us, it’s the end of our work week, and around the corner is some sleeping-in time, maybe a fun activity or two with friends and family, and of course, time to breathe while doing all the duties of a wife and/or mom. For those of you who have been joining us on Fridays, we will be returning to Power Fridays for a while and putting Jeff’s Java Hour on hold until he’s feeling more settled and less overwhelmed!  Grab your coffee and come on in so I can share from my heart to yours from a book called Not A Fan, and how the author, Kyle Idleman, has pierced my heart and inspired this power thought.
So my husband was actually given this book by one of the owners of the company he works for, who obviously doesn’t really know my honey very well, because the only thing he reads with any consistency is the Bible! :) And that’s not a dig on either of them, by the way; I’m just sharing that my husband doesn’t usually read “books,” including mine!
Anyway, it was sitting in his truck for a couple of weeks and one day on our way to somewhere, I began to flip through the pages. What I read caught my attention, immediately! It was as though the book was just waiting to be opened so it could literally reach out, grab a hold of both of my ears, and then come back for my heart, too, and … all I can say is oh, em, gee, it has done all of that and more so I have to share!
So for a while, I will share thought-provoking lessons from this book, paraphrasing it so as not to plagiarize but also share how his words spoke to me. I just love how God does that; gifts people to write/teach and though we as authors may feel as though we are merely a needle in a haystack – this guy’s a huge needle and I’m oh, such a tiny one! :) — and it is up to Him to pluck us out and pierce the hearts of others. I pray what I share pierces your heart in such a way to cause you to think about your relationship with the One who loves you like no one else can!
This book is really piercing my heart and making me think about things that I don’t know that I’ve thought too much about, and also challenged me in areas where I thought I was okay with. For now I’ll leave you with this first thought that captured my ears, heart and mind which is based on the miracle of Jesus feeding hundreds with just a few loaves of bread and fish [Matthew 14:13-21]: What is it you show up to church functions for? Is it the free food? Do you just go for social reasons? Are you part of the crowd returning to the next event for more of the same, just like a fan, or are you a follower?
So many churches, and ministries, are so “seeker-friendly,” caught up in making Jesus look as attractive as possible so others would come to have eternal life, with the best of intentions in mind, but in the process, we are creating fans and not so many followers.
Share your thoughts. What do you think the difference between the two is?
Yearning to follow after Him,
kim L
Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment