Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Have you ever had to defend your faith?


Joy to you today, and in all your tomorrows, my Coffee Hour friend! I don’t know about you, but I am so encouraged to learn that there are so many ingredients in the free gift of joy! I guess that’s why it is possible to have it even in chaos and turmoil! But now just to grasp it in the midst of chaos and turmoil! Grab your coffee and let’s go to our next stop in our journey to Destination? Joyful! ™
The next stop in Job involves another so-called friend of Job named Zophar, who had an argument or pleading with Job that sounded much like Bildad’s; however, I kind of like his for it is more direct, not so muddy! In Job 20:5, Zophar’s sermon about the wicked man states that the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite is but for a moment!
I don’t know about you, but that statement, which is God-inspired, gives me a sort of relief knowing that ultimately, true joy stands the test of time, shines through the darkness of hypocricy and carries us into eternity!
Let’s move on to the next stop, which is in Job 29:13. This is Job’s summary defense! Just imagine a trial, if you will. This is Job’s closing arguments for defending his faith, his love for his God, our God and the truth of his deeds. By the way, did you know that Job was believed to have been a judge, a sort of magistrate/councilman in his day? Interesting!
So about halfway through his defense, Job is speaking about the good deeds he has done, and reminiscing about the fruit he received for those. Oh, how sweet it is to look back and remember when … which is what he’s doing in verse 13: “The blessing of a perishing man came upon me and I caused the widow’s heart to sing for joy.”
Now that phrase, “The blessing of a perishing man came upon me” intrigues me so follow me for an explanation. Something tells me it will make the recipe of joy all the more rich!
20140627_113228A-ha, this is what Guzik’s commentary says: “Not only did Job gain the attention of the people and leaders of the city in days past; they also liked him and what he had to say. He was blessed and approved by those who heard him.” He goes on to explain the blessing: ‘Because I delivered the poor who cried out . . . I caused the widow’s heart to sing for joy . . . I was eyes to the blind, and I was feet to the lame.”
Here Job wasn’t boasting about his good deeds; rather he was describing how his reputation for wisdom and goodness was earned. He was a man full of good and noble works, especially to the poor and disadvantaged.
Whew, I see a couple more ingredients or are those byproducts in this recipe for joy? Join me tomorrow for more journeying toward this highly-craved gift of joy!
Love and laughter,
2014 Headshot
Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment