Monday, May 16, 2016

Jenn's Journey



Happy Monday! Thanks for stopping by. How good are you at thinking of others before yourself? I had to ask myself this in the past week, so here are some of my thoughts.

Last weekend, we went to the Renaissance Fair. It was a lot of fun. I enjoy people watching. Some people go all out and dress as if they stepped out of the Middle Ages. Others, you wonder if they checked a mirror before leaving the house. Shopping, eating, and watching shows and music are all part of the fun.
My daughter and I stood in a line for 45 minutes so she could roll around in a giant, air-filled bubble on a pool of water.  We watched as a mother of a young boy walked him to the front of the line. She sheepishly said, "Oh, he doesn't know how to wait in line." Those of us who had already waited with our kids looked at each other stunned!
A couple days later I was again waiting in line. This time I was at the bank. Only two tellers were working. One of the customers was talking away, apparently about the death of someone in her family, seemingly unaware of the growing line behind her. I found myself getting very irritated.
I've been pondering these instances this week. On one hand, it's hard to understand how people can think so little of others, especially in the first example. Where has common courtesy gone? Everywhere we look, we see selfishness, and the 'me first' attitude. I have to admit that my annoyance in the bank was because I wanted to get in and get on with my day.
A verse came to mind: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." (Philippians 2:3) How would this look for me while at the bank? Perhaps I could be less irritated by thinking perhaps the woman has few people she talks to, and this was a time she could finally say what was on her mind. I was not in a particular hurry so I could afford to be more patient. Maybe I could say a prayer for the young mother who was not teaching her son manners. Does this mean the behavior of others is not selfish? No. But it does mean that I will take into account how I think and how I act.
As Christians, we are called to be counter-culture. It's not about 'me first' in the kingdom of God.
Until next week, be blessed.
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment