Monday, May 23, 2016

Jenn's Journey

Good morning and happy Monday! Thank you for stopping by once again. Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while you reflect on some of my thoughts.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29
"Words from the mouth of a wise man are gracious, while the lips of a fool consume him." Ecclesiastes 10:12

Ever stop to think how your words affect others? This has been a subject matter of my prayers recently. It is way too easy for careless words to slip from my lips, especially when I am tired, stressed, triggered or in a hurry. 
My job deals with people, which means I meet all kinds! When a person sits in my chair to have his/her teeth cleaned, I never know what I may hear.  For the first time in 22 years, I had a patient swear at me, and say some very ugly words. I was taken aback, nearly to the point of tears. The words stung. I had to struggle to remain professional. I was able to keep my voice calm and try to ease the situation, but it took prayer to do so. 
I understand that often people are upset and anxious at dental appointments, which causes them to lash out.  While I understand this, it's hard to be the one who takes the brunt. I've noticed that if it's the first patient of the day who spews negativity, it can set a tone for my day. While it's my responsibility to rise above, and remain pleasant, that task can seem monumental sometimes.
I remember once asking a clerk at a store how her day was going. She acted surprised that I would ask, and thanked me for doing so. Words, attitude, they matter! In a world that has gone mad, where people hardly think twice about tearing others down with words, we are called to a different standard.
I can do better at speaking graciously and using words that build others up. There's a quote by Maya Angelou that really hits home: "'I've learned that people will forget what you said; people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” 
Words are not easily forgotten when they are unkind, and how those made us feel will certainly be recalled.
 I pray for God's grace to work in me, that the words I use build others up.
Until next week, be blessed,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment