Monday, July 18, 2016

Jenn's Journey





Good morning my friends! Another Monday has dawned and here we are in the middle of July! Where is the summer going? Please, grab a cup of your favorite drink and spend a few minutes with me.
"Out of the mouths of babes," how often I have thought of this phrase since my daughter came into my life. Being a mother has taught me much. I think God knew I needed some lessons. :)
My daughter took a pretty good fall last week and scratched up her knees and elbows. The following day we were driving to church and she was talking about her fall. Then she said, "I don't want to go to church like this. Everyone will see my scars. They'll think I don't trust God." Wow, was all I could think. Does this sound familiar?
We tried to explain to her that God doesn't always keep us from getting hurt, but that doesn't mean we don't trust Him…and that no one would or should think less of her for her scratches. In a way, those words felt empty because how many times have I believed that others think less of me for my “scars” and how many times have I thought less of someone for theirs? It's a sobering thought, isn't it?
It's true that God does not protect us from all harm. Living in this sinful world exposes us to many injuries, physical and emotional. Sometimes the choices we make cause more hurt. No matter how the scars came about though, our tendency is to want to hide. We feel the need to put on a face, pretend we're okay, shrink into ourselves or worse yet, continue on a path towards self-destruction.
My daughter ended up showing off her banged-up skin…and was given comfort. My friends, we need to do this as well. We need to find safe places, and people with which to show our scars and receive the grace and comfort we need. More importantly, we must BE safe people that others can share with. This is the way to healing. It's also the way to living an authentic life.

"I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself." Jeremiah 31:3
Until next week, be blessed,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment