Wednesday, April 11, 2018

An attitude change can change everything in the moment! EL



Just last week I was trying to turn in my assignment online – I’m not sure if that’s up- or downloading -- J but I managed to get locked out! For the next hour I wrestled with passwords, technical support and finally, after remembering that I forgot to pray and ask for help, I offered up a quick and frustrated cry for help. It worked, but that was just the beginning.
Welcome to Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Wednesday’s Word with Trench Classes United.
When I finally got into my email, and then the campus’s online site to turn in my assignment, I noticed that there was a test due the next day…I swear it hadn’t been there all week and now, here it was, plain as day. I’d like to say my first response was to just be chill, not complain and just take the test…but I’d be lying.
I got lost for a moment in my fit and falling in it, complaining and carrying on until I got myself so worked up that even I didn’t recognize me. I had my day planned and taking a test was not part of the plan. I didn’t have time for a test. My thoughts teetered on over to blame where I began to want to give my professor a lecture on how to manage his class! Ugh, I cringe in humility just remembering how frustrated I was. L
And then the quietest thought danced across my mind…so fast I almost missed it, but it veered on over into my heart and suddenly I heard myself say: I can either spend all my time and energy on being ticked off over this or I can invest my energy and just take the stinking test!
I chose the latter.
I mentally rearranged my day and determined in my heart to move forward and move well as I logged back in to the test site. Now, me and test taking…well, we don’t get along too well. See, these tests are 60 minutes long and there are 50 questions! And they are not true/false questions; they are very specific with answers that all look the same until you stop, and really chew on each of the choices. But you have to chew fast because you’re on the clock.
The first few questions actually began to send me into a panic but then I stopped, asked God to help me and kept clinging to the promise “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” like a mantra for momentum and I finished the test with only ONE minute to spare! 
I pressed submit and held my breath waiting for my results. I didn’t have long to wait: 40 out of 50! Not bad, and don’t get me wrong, I was grateful, especially considering the surrounding circumstances, but I did take the time to look at the ones I got wrong for two reasons: one, I really do want to understand what I’m learning, and two, we get two chances each test and I usually take advantage of this opportunity, not because I’m an over-achiever or anything -- J -- but I do like seeing a score closer to the 50 than 10 away.
I quickly looked over the ones I had missed and determined to come back in a couple of hours and retake it.
God honored my attitude change because when I returned to the test, I let out a “Thank you, Jesus” when I saw they had actually given me the same one! That NEVER happens…well, almost never, because it just did. J
So guess what happened?
Give up? Okay, I’ll tell you: I finished the test in 13 minutes and only missed 2!
Now brings Philippians 2: 14-15 to life in my life: we do the task at hand without grumbling, He will make us shine like a diamond in the sky! 14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.” (NIV)
An attitude change can change everything in the moment!
Learning and un-learning
Kim-Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment