Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Being green with envy only makes one feel blue EL


I met one of my BFF’s for lunch the other day. We go way back but sort of got out of consistent contact and that is now starting to change and I’m so grateful because she has such a special place in my heart. After we ordered, she very casually announced that her husband was quitting his job. With my mouth open – quite wide for the first few seconds – I listened as she replayed the plans her and her husband had for their future which sounded pretty financially successful and secure.  I was happy for her, truly happy, and yet, there was something else tugging on my emotions. Was it envy? Welcome to Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Wednesday’s Word with Trench Classes United.
It sounded like a great plan; they are on to something and their finances, which we all know trickle down into every other aspect of married life, have been really blessed. I mean, God’s really brought her so far in so many ways. “Do you ever look back and marvel at how far you’ve come, how far He’s brought you?” I asked her.
She didn’t hesitate, “Absolutely!”
We took a quick trip down memory lane and at the end of it, I admitted that I was super happy for her and a bit envious, too, because I really didn’t think I’d be in the financial position I am currently – which isn’t bad, but definitely not where I had wanted to be.
We talked about that for a few minutes and our conversation veered over into priorities and I found myself admitting that though I enjoy court reporting and thankful for the ability to still do it part time, my heart and soul are in the ministry…my heart beats for the church, for people to understand the reality of the necessity of Christ in their lives.
I’ll never, ever forget her profound and matter-of-fact response: “That’s why. Your priorities are different; that’s all.”
In that moment I was reminded of Abba’s words to me years before; I have more of an ERA (eternal retirement account) than an IRA (individual retirement account.)

Oh, to live for my next life and not be so caught up in this life!

That’s easier said than done, right? I love this reminder from Paul in Philippians 4:11-13  (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
 And truthfully, I wouldn’t change my life…or my calling…even if I could!
Love,
Kim-Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment