Monday, June 15, 2015

Jenn’s Journey from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
A blessed and happy Monday to you my friends. As I sit and write, I am sipping on some coffee, and it's nice to think you will be joining me. Summer is moving right along. In our house we're enjoying the more relaxed schedule, and the fun times we are having with family and friends.

Last week, I talked about my recovering perfectionism. Funny how God keeps sending me little messages along this line! I never know what He is going to use to speak into my heart and mind, so I try to keep listening for that still small voice.

Last weekend my daughter and I were getting ready to go to church. She is exercising new independence and wants to dress herself. Well, she came out of her room wearing a leopard print tank top and some of her “gently worn” black shorts. I was taken aback. I said to her "Oh no, honey, you need to find a dress; we're going to church, remember?" I could feel my stomach seize a bit, you know, the feeling "What will people think?"

Instantly, conditioning from years past rushed into my head just as she answered: "Mom, I've decided trusting God is more important than looking pretty!"

Now what does a mother say to that? I tried to answer with "Well, when we go to church we dress our best to honor God" but you know what? It sounded empty and hollow. My daughter had hit the nail on the head with her remark and there was nothing I could say. Everything I've been teaching her was up front and in my face. :-) I was immediately humbled.

We went to church, just as she was. I have to admit to spending just a wee bit of time wondering what other parents were thinking, but I let it go. LOL!

I could not help but ponder this scenario for days after. I thought again of how caught up I/we are in looking perfect, and how that seeps into every aspect of our lives. How many times have I gone to church with the perfect outfit but with something seething inside? Worry, anger, resentment...all things that God wishes to erase with His perfect love. In fact, THAT is what church should be, a place where we can take those imperfections and meet with God, to be reminded of what He does for us, and trust Him to keep doing it.
"But the LORD said to Samuel, ‘The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.’" 1 Samuel 16:7
There it is. In black and white! The Lord looks at what is in our hearts. He's been working in mine now for quite some time and I am so grateful He promises to keep doing that until the day He comes. All around us we see the emphasis on looks, yet it is not God's way. True beauty comes from the inside out.

I pray that as He continues to free me of my perfectionism, I can be like a little child and say "Trusting God is more important than how I look!"

Until next week, be blessed,
JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment