Monday, June 29, 2015

Jenn’s Journey from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Good morning! Once again, I am glad to be here with you, sharing some thoughts and perhaps a cup of coffee or tea. I am enjoying the quiet of a summer morning right now; in fact, I am the only one awake here in my house. I find I look forward to times like this, how about you??

I was not always this way…craving alone time. In fact, it used to be that if I was alone, I felt I was missing out. In my younger days, it was of utmost importance to be with friends, doing something. Being alone meant there was something wrong with me.  Back then, I couldn't wait to be at the gym working out with friends, having weekends filled with plans and of course, looking for that special someone to spend my life with.

My how things change! Perhaps it is age, but now, I long for alone time and quiet. It is my time to be alone with my thoughts, to talk to God and to recharge. If I don't have some of that each day, I find that I have less patience and more anxiety. Being in noisy situations, or with a lot of people, drains me and I need my time even more.

After seeing a friend post on Facebook about getting more comfortable in being alone, my thoughts were sparked. We humans were made to be social; we need one another for friendship, love, support and growth. It's okay to want those things and to fill our days with them. It is also good, and I believe necessary, to be comfortable alone. Sometimes we fear being alone, and worse, lonely. I believe this is where I was in the past. I 'needed' others and plans that included others in order to feel okay about myself. This was unhealthy, at least for me.

The many experiences I have been through, a lonely marriage, divorce and single motherhood, taught me that I need to be comfortable in my own skin. I learned that I could be more lonely living in a house with someone than I had ever imagined. This taught me that I have to depend on Someone bigger than me, and other people. Someone who is always there, available anytime of the day or night. He made us to need His friendship and companionship too. If we ignore this need, I believe we will never feel completely satisfied. We'll always be searching for the 'thing' that will fill the emptiness.

Deuteronomy 31:6 says "... the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." Another, and this has always been one of my favorites, says:"and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’" Hebrews 13:5

My friends, no matter where you are in life…happy, alone, or too lonely, there is One who longs to fill the blank spaces. He's teaching me this, and He can show you too. I pray that no matter what your day brings, you feel His presence today!

Until next week, be blessed.

JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment