Monday, July 6, 2015

Jenn’s Journey from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Good morning! Happy July. Celebrating freedom is always a good thing isn't it? It seems nowadays it is even more special as this world heats up with more tragedy and unrest.

The other day I went to see the movie "San Andreas." Typically, these types of movies are not my thing, as they usually strike fear in my heart. However, I am glad I took a chance on this one, because I got a reminder during this movie of where I need to place my hope.
If you know anything about the movie, you know a 9.8 earthquake hits California, with San Francisco being the hardest hit. It's really quite sobering to think that anything like this could happen; the devastation is unreal. Of course, the movie has a hero, a firefighter who has the highest number of dangerous rescues under his belt. He's incredibly smart, strong and daring…I'd sure want him around if a tragedy hits!

He was everywhere, rescuing people, hurrying them to safer ground, pulling them out from under fallen debris. In one scene he gets a group of people up against a building, and they survive. One woman asks him, "How did you know we'd be safe?" His answer, "Get up against something strong and stable and you'll be ok."  The ultimate goal is to find and rescue his daughter who is in San Francisco. The daughter has paid attention to things her dad has taught her, and throughout the movie, she is trying to get to higher ground.
I found myself in tears, and not because I was afraid, but because of the spiritual lesson I took away from the movie. I often feel chaos all around me, falling debris, and fear of what will happen next, the struggle to get to higher ground. This is when I have to ask myself: have I been listening to what my Father has told me?

Words from a hymn came to my mind:
I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”
My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.”

I/we have Higher Ground to run to, and though He does not always stop the chaos, He helps me/us rise above it. He is the ultimate Hero and one day He will take us far above and beyond this crazy world. I leave you with this verse, "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:2

Until next week, be blessed,

JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment