Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tuesday’s Trench Lessons 4 Life

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
I hope you are enjoying your Tuesday, my friends! I am so glad that you can join me today as I look at how we can approach our relationships with others. Grab a stick of gum (you will see why in a minute), a bottle of water, and your thinking cap as we tackle this topic!

I recently took a 23-hour drive as the lone driver. I have done this four times now, and find that it does tax me! I drink caffeine, have snacks on hand, roll the windows down, and keep the music loud, all to keep myself awake. This last trip, I also used chewing gum to occupy my time. 23 hours is quite a long time to keep your mind sharp. You can imagine all of those deep, insightful thoughts I had as I drove through the desert with nothing to look at but dirt! I started thinking about how our approach to chewing gum could be compared to how we approach our relationships.

If you look at a wrapped stick of gum, it is usually covered with a shiny, colorful wrapper. Thinking about entering into a relationship with another human being, whether it be a boy/girl friend, husband/wife, son/daughter, or friend, is for the most part, appealing, just like that pretty piece of gum. It holds the promise of minty freshness, or spicy cinnamon flavor. Even thinking about a fresh piece of gum can cause the production of saliva. I call that the anticipation. That is working up the nerve to ask someone on a date, or waiting for 9 months (or years of trying and wanting) for the arrival of a new child. We have hope, love, and kindness in our hearts.

I have chewed my fair share of gum, On more than one occasion, I have had a piece that must not have been properly formed. It turned to mush in my mouth. I correlate that with a relationship that should not be, such as an abusive relationship. In my life personally, that piece of gum would be the miscarriage I had 10 years ago. It was just not meant to be. The Lord had other plans.

For the most part, the relationships we have in our life do not fall into that category. We all usually get a good stick of gum! We unwrap it, and pop it into our mouths. The flavor explodes in our mouths. We have pleasure and joy. When a relationship is new, it is the greatest. Our love seems amplified, and that is what we can “taste.” We continue to chew. Sometimes, when we are excited, stressed, or anxious, we might begin to chew harder and faster. This tends to make the flavor dissipate quickly. The same can be said for our relationship. If we are rough on the other person, or they are rough on us, some of that joy and pleasure may be hard to feel. But if we chew slowly, and savor it, the flavor remains with us longer; just as when we are kind and considerate.

No matter which way we choose to chew, after time, the flavor fades, leaving us with a dull wad of sticky chewy bits in our mouth. We can opt to throw it out and get another. This seems to be a popular route for relationships as well. Once it loses its excitement and shine, we toss it out. After all, there are plenty of fish in the sea. What of those occasions when you become hungry while chewing, and you spit out your gum to go eat? I liken that to those who are driven by lust, and need their appetites satiated. These people can find that their “piece of gum” is no longer available to them once tossed aside.

The world that we live in now seems to be fueled by instant gratification. The mindset of, if I am done with this piece, I can always get another. We can be the difference. We can be the change. We can realize that people are not pieces of gum. We can also realize that WE are not pieces of gum. We deserve love and respect, and we are commanded to give that same love to others. Romans 12:9-10 reads: Let love be sincere. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectionate one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another.

Let us choose to chew our relationships gently. Let us opt to not throw out our piece, even when we think there is no flavor left. Let us be sincere with our love, kindness, and understanding. Relationships take work, but it is worth the effort! Until next week, choose to taste the flavor.

LeaLeah

No comments:

Post a Comment