Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Paws for Coffee Hour: Lessons I’ve learned from my dogs

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Oh, I smile from the inside out whenever I think of this new series that will for sure have us giggling, especially those of us who are real dog-lovers. While our dogs is not what brought Jennifer to CPM, and to me, our love for dogs often gives us common ground to run to when ministry gets so overwhelming and we need a laugh. Her first blog is spot on with many of my experiences and feelings about my dogs! I’m delighted to introduce you to another writer for Coffee Hour…I present…Jennifer Wyatt, an incredibly amazing woman of God with too many talents to count. Grab your coffee and your SOF, because there is a knot to tie in this blog!

People who know me understand that I love the Lord; they also recognize my deep affection for my husband and children.  But…if you spend enough time around me you may think that my first love is my dogs.  Granted, I do spend a lot of time talking about their antics and accomplishments.  I may even have more photos of them on my phone than I do of my kids.  The reality is that my four-legged babies spend more time with me than anyone else.  They greet me at the door with kisses and generally express that they missed me, while the rest of family asks “how was your day?” And, “What’s for dinner?”  It’s not to say that anyone loves me more or less; dogs just express it more openly and frequently.

My furry babies are Corey, an 11-year-old golden retriever, and Logan, a 1 ½ year old Siberian husky.  They are quite a pair and generally follow me everywhere.  They sit next to me on the couch, lay on my feet and frequently need their belly rubbed.  I believe that most dogs’ love language is quality time.  It’s why we love them, want them to be close and miss them when they are gone.

It’s that love that binds us together, humans and animals alike.

As I was writing this blog I started to think about why we express our love, how we are called by God to love each other without question and without ceasing.  For some in my life, it’s easy, other’s not so much, but my pets…always.  Why?  They love us without thinking about it or analyzing it.  They accept our care without question and they notice when we are not around.  If they had cell phones they would probably call or text us several times a day! :-) When they do bad things (like eat mommy’s favorite pair of shoes) we forgive and move on.  Easy for pets, harder for humans…..shouldn’t it be the same?

Now we can’t go over to our neighbors, give them a bone and scratch them behind their ears, but we can express the thought behind it.  I am glad you are here and I am so happy that you are in my life.  If someone needs to hear those three little words…I love you….say it and mean it.

John 13:34-35 “Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”

Logan, my husky, even says it (though he would probably ask me what is for dinner too). 




Lots of love,
Jen, Corey & Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment