Friday, November 13, 2015

Paws for Coffee Hour

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Oh, it’s a great day to join us for a lesson to learn in the classroom of life from our four-legged friends…one with spiritual significance. Jennifer is so good at tying it all together, which is really what we’re supposed to do as we learn in this life, to remember we are made of mind, body and soul, physically, emotionally and spiritually! This one is incredibly profound! Please, grab your coffee and join us!
I saw something quite disgusting this week and it reminded me of a verse in proverbs.

“As a dog returns to its own vomit so a fool repeats his foolishness” Proverbs 26:11
Did you know that dogs will actually do that?  I have always wondered why.  Is it because it was a part of them?  Does it remind them of their last meal?  Who knows!  I know it sounds gross, but stay with me here! :-)

As I was cleaning up the mess I thought “I am sure glad humans don’t do this.” But then the Lord reminded me of the second half of the verse.  He nudged me and said, “Yes, they do.”  Let me share with you how:

We do this, not in a literal sense, but with other things:  Emotional things, temptation-type things, old habits that are negative in nature, self-destructive even.
How do we purge ourselves of these things we don’t want in our life, whether it is pain, suffering, hurt inflicted, any of the things we struggle with?
For me, it’s depression.
The weight of the world and my past grabs hold and I feel myself sinking…returning to its foolishness.
I push it off, pray it away and offer it up to the Lord.  I get freedom from it.  Then something happens.  A trigger, a memory or a new pain and I find myself sniffing around for what I had just let go of.
What I have recently grabbed a hold of is that these things in our past, present or future are opportunities for victory or to nose around in our muck.  It may not feel like it but we have a choice to make.  Do I seek victory or vomit? 

To seek victory I dwell on these scriptures:

“For the Lord your God is going with you! He will fight for you against your enemies, and he will give you victory!”  Deuteronomy 20:4

“You have given me your shield of victory; your help has made me great.” 2 Samuel 22:36

“I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him.” Psalm 62:1

“I thank you for answering my prayer and giving me victory!”  Psalm 118:21

Speak the truth until you feel it…He will give you victory!

IMG_0633Jennifer and Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment