Monday, November 2, 2015

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Happy Monday and happy November! This month kicks off the holiday season, and I admit that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. For me, it tops them all. This year I've been trying to focus on thankfulness all year round and I believe it has helped make a difference in my attitude. This morning, I want to share with you one thing I am grateful for.

Last week was a field trip for my daughter's first- grade class. I was unable to join them for the entire day since I had to see a few patients at work. The night before, my daughter cried buckets of tears because I would not be going. Some of her tears were genuine, and some were crocodile, designed to make a mom feel guilty. :) She ranted on about how could I do this to her, how could I think work was so important, and how sad she was that I would not be there. I did my best to comfort her, to listen to all the feelings without 'fixing' them. No small feat since it's very hard for me to sit with someone's feelings. I said a prayer with her and finally we were able to get some rest.

In the morning, she was calm. She cheerfully told me that she was still sad that I would not be with her, but that it was ok. She understood. I was both amazed, once again, and encouraged by this. I've noticed this type of thing before when I have validated and comforted her feelings, something sort of magical happens: she moves on to accepting a situation much quicker than had I tried to stifle what she felt!

Last night, I spent a great deal of my evening in tears. I have my own sadness and disappointments to deal with. I've had many, many nights like this, as I am sure some of you can relate to. I rant and rave to myself, to God, to a long suffering friend or two. This week I've seen friends lose a son suddenly, at age 16. It's senseless that these things happen. I've come face to face with some less than pretty parts of myself that I need to give to God…and I am feeling very sad about how I've hurt someone I love. You might say I had my own tantrum of sorts. I talked with a friend for a bit, one who listened and gave encouragement, and I was able to lay down for some rest.

I woke up this morning to write my blog. I was unsure of what to share today with my heart being this full. A verse came to mind almost immediately when I first became conscious." It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23
This is my thankfulness; that because of Him, I am not consumed. I can 'Cast my anxiety on Him because He cares for me" 1 Peter 5:7 
Until next week, be blessed
JennJen

No comments:

Post a Comment