Monday, February 29, 2016

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Happy Monday! So happy you could join me on this beautiful day.  Do you accept gifts or help easily? Or is it hard for you to do so? Grab a cup of coffee or tea and let's talk about this for a minute.

 Recently a couple different friends asked me if I could do something to help them out in a pinch. I was happy to do so. Both of them thanked me and then said, "I owe you." I replied to each of them that I wouldn't take a thing for my help.

I wonder…why do we feel we must pay back for a favor, or for a gift? I've had this question rumbling in my head for quite awhile. I struggle with this myself. It seems so hard to just accept what is given.

In my experience, it's hard to admit I need help. I like to get things done myself. It probably goes back to perfectionism, the sneaky character trait that likes to appear as having it all together. There may even be the sense of why would someone do for me with no strings attached? Or, do I do things expecting something back?

There is society's pressure to appear strong and pull yourself up by your boot straps. A lot of religions seem to have an underlying theme that what we do is what gets us accepted by God. "Nothing is free" is what we hear on many fronts.

Yet, this is not how God operates. He freely gives us His love, and His gift of eternal life…no strings attached! We don't owe Him anything. In fact, there's nothing we could do to earn it! How does this make you feel? If you're like me, you might have to process the thought!
I am lucky to have friends who I can ask for help; they will give it without expecting in return. I know that I am that type of friend to them. When we practice this, God's character is shown through us. What a beautiful thing.

Until next week, be blessed,

JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment