Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wednesday’s Word

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
EL pen Logo with heartSpiritual Math

And He said to them, with the same measure you use, it will be measured back to you, and to those who hear, more will be given!
Happy Wednesday, and thanks for stopping by today for our Wednesday’s Word and Coffee Hour! Grab your coffee and your strand of faith and let’s go do some spiritual math.

Have you ever heard the saying, “What you put into it is what you will get out of it”? That’s what I think of when I read this verse and really hear what it is saying. Another way to say it or ask it is, “do you get what you give?” Let me see if I can explain the profoundness of this verse with a true story that just happened a few weeks ago. Come with me into the moment where someone is sharing how they lost their job.

“So what happened?” I asked. As she explained how she had been taking longer breaks than allowed, driving around in the company vehicle taking care of her own stuff, of course after she had completed her work, and how they had finally called her in and put a GPS tracking report in front of her that had showed her daily habits, I sat quietly and nodded to show I was listening and not condemning.  What she said next rendered me hopeful:  “Basically I was stealing from the company, taking advantage of them.” 

I nodded my head in agreement, “Yes, and if you are able to see that, well, then that’s a lesson learned to take with you to the next job.” We then began to talk about the job search and how that was going.  She had just had a really good interview that day for a vacation homes sales position and was feeling pretty good about it at least I thought she was until she said what she said next: “I guess I’m not good enough for the job I really wanted.”
My mouth dropped. “What do you mean?” She went on to explain to me that she had interviewed for a position with Apple, and how much she really wanted that job but apparently she hadn’t interviewed good enough.

 “Why do you believe you aren’t good enough for that job or that you didn’t interview good enough?”

“Well, they didn’t call me back.”

“Oh, I see. So you believe that because you didn’t get a call back that you interviewed poorly or you weren’t good enough…” I let that dangle in the air for a long silent minute. Then I continued. “Could it be that you interviewed just fine but that He is saying no right now?”
She looked at me perplexed. “What do you mean?”

“Well, it sounds like a great job and an impressive job; however, how can He bless you with an even greater job than the one you just lost? Could it be you need to learn to take care of what He gives you so He can give you more?”

Silence....

“And, no, He’s not punishing you, my friend; just giving you the same measure you gave.”
I went on to explain this principle that applies in so many areas of our lives. I’ve seen it over and over again. If you dream of owning a home, you have to take care of what you rent. If you want/need a nicer car, take care of the one you have. If you want to make more money, you need to use what you have wisely. If you keep running out of time, give Him the first minutes of your day!

But let’s talk about something of an eternal vale: What about how much we feed or invest into our faith, our relationship with Him? The more we invest in Him to be with Him and to be like Him, the more understanding, wisdom, knowledge He will bestow upon us, which ultimately will produce fruit: love, joy, gentleness, patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control. These things have eternal value!

I remember when I sold Princess House Crystal years ago and I longed for national awards, or I wanted to earn a trip, or this prize, or that prize, and I did what it took to earn/win what I wanted. When I came back to Christ, and really surrendered my life, I remember thinking, I want that same fervor I invested into sales to be invested into knowing Him, in each and every area of my life that with that measure I invest, it will be measured back to me!

What about you? What measure of time are you investing into the things of God to be with Him, to be like Him? With the same measure you use, it will be measured back to you!
Oh, that your cup would measure full and overflowing!

Love,
IMG_8444-2 blogEvinda

No comments:

Post a Comment