Monday, February 8, 2016

Jenn’s Journey

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
It's Monday! Here we are meeting up again, already!  Did you know that this month is "Heart Awareness Month"? A whole month devoted to raising awareness of heart disease and how to prevent it. How ironic, especially considering that this month is also about affairs of the heart! Grab whatever you’re having for your break and join me.

Recently I went in for a yearly checkup. I had been feeling extra tired and run down as of late. My doctor ordered some blood work. The results came back with healthy levels of everything except iron. Turns out I was anemic. This explains the fatigue and a few other symptoms I was having. My doctor suggested I take a supplement, and within days of doing so, I felt better! What a relief to have symptoms checked, and an answer found.

Like physical exams, we need emotional checkups. When was the last time you paid attention to warning signs in your emotional dashboard? Unfortunately, it's easy to ignore symptoms until it's too late and you've said something out of anger or irritation and/or done something you'll regret. At least this is my experience!

 I was in a self-defense class the other day. The instructor had us take a few minutes to do what he called taking inventory of ourselves, i.e., become aware of how you're feeling, he said. Are there any tight muscles? Are you experiencing pain anywhere?

I've had all the symptoms of emotional weariness lately: irritation, impatience, sadness, brokenness and anger. I have found myself in the strangest silence...as if words have failed me. So, for a time, I am just going to sit back and take inventory. What is it I truly feel? Maybe I need to spend more time with the Great Physician.

Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14

Until next week, be blessed,
JennJenn

No comments:

Post a Comment