Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Tuesday’s Trench Truth


Thoughtful Thankfulness
I love this time of year, when the weather begins to cool down, creation’s colors change and bright oranges, reds and yellows burst forth upon the leaves of the trees.  There’s a sort of fall scent that comes with it all, too.  This harvest season is the beginning of the holiday season and while I’d rather stay in this “thankful” season, I’ve come to realize that we don’t have to have Thanksgiving to be thankful.
Every morning, I begin my quiet time by being still and inviting Him into the rewind of my previous day. Together we go through the things that happened and the moments where He was blessing me, or trying to get my attention, and/or moments that make me super thankful I am His and He is mine. As I am still, I can recognize all kinds of things to be thankful for, and I do acknowledge them through journaling and prayer.
For twenty-two days now, I’ve seen posts on Facebook talking about the things they are thankful for because this is the “month of thankfulness.” Every day brings a new thing to be thankful for and I absolutely love the simplicity of many of the things that others are thankful for. As this month seems to hurry into the next, I can see that the attitude of gratitude has diminished, like so many other good intentions.
Could it be to practice thankfulness is a challenge? I think that it can be and that being thankful requires more than written or spoken works. It requires action. Do my actions line up with my words of thankfulness? Am I living like I’m thankful? What does it take for an attitude of gratitude to be my constant companion?
Here are some truths that I’ve learned and am trying to live about thankfulness:
Learning how to be thankful for the little things gets us through the big, difficult things.
Thankfulness is a choice!
Thankfulness can pull us out of the pit of depression and brighten perspective.
Thankfulness is an act of worship and blesses God!
Thankfulness is an anti-inflammatory that decreases pride.
Thankfulness is an antibiotic for negativity.
Thankfulness opens the door to more blessings.
Thankfulness can turn a frown upside down!
Thankfulness helps us stay in the moments instead of living for the next.
A little thankfulness goes a long way!
Now it’s your turn; what does an attitude of thankfulness do for you? Remember, we don’t need to wait for Thanksgiving to be thankful!
Thankful,

Evinda


No comments:

Post a Comment