Monday, May 20, 2013

Nana Holds from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power


Coffee Hour @ Chicklit PowerWelcome to Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power and welcome back to more of Nana Holds, a series started almost a year ago now. It’s been almost a month since the last entry for this series and we left off during the beginning of the 2012 Christmas season! Wow, where has all the time gone? I can’t wait to catch us up to the present in this series and share with you all that God is continuing to work through it as He continues to transform me in these Nana Holds moments. Grab your coffee and come on in.
We found out about three weeks before Christmas that Bryce was going to get a three-day pass for Christmas, so George and I began preparing Bryden for his Daddy’s visit home. “Bryden, Daddy gets a little vacation from his big job so he’s going to be coming home for a few days and we’re going to get to spend Christmas with him.” He understood “daddy’s coming home,” and we began to count down the days.
As the weeks turned into just days before the anticipated homecoming, we made plans for Bryce’s three-day home pass which began at 12:00 noon the Saturday before Christmas. Since this was to be a happy and joyous time for everyone, we thought we’d treat us all to “The happiest place on earth, Disneyland,” which is exactly where we headed the day we
Christmas 2012
Christmas 2012
picked him up.
What an experience, to see the happiest place through the eyes of a child like I had never done before. Oh, sure, I’ve taken my son when he was little but that was years ago when I was a control freak and much to worried about all the what-ifs instead of learning to be in the moments and soak up the happiness, even if just for the day.
Well, Disneyland was another do-over for me. When we finally made it into the park – OMG, was it ever crowded – we moved ever so slowly among the crowd and I tried not to feel so suffocated. We hadn’t even been inside twenty minutes, and hadn’t made it very far, when all of a sudden, Disneyland personnel began to rope off Main Street. It was time for the Christmas parade and we were just in time.
We weaved in and out of the clumps of people to a place that had a porch with enough room for all of us to stand, that is, Bryce, Bryden, Papa, Nana and Jene. That’s where we stopped to watch the complete parade, another experience I have never experienced! As many of the famous childhood characters came by on their various floats made up of their favorite things and places, Bryce put Bryden up on his shoulders. From my perspective, he had the best seat in the whole parade, and from the look on Bryden’s face, he was right where he wanted to be with who he wanted to be with.
When Mickey and Minnie Mouse came dressed in their Christmas clothes, their whimsical joy pulled a smile from Bryden and his eyes began to twinkle like only a child’s can. I watched as he stared somewhat captivated by Goofey and Pluto, and in awe at Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, childhood characters he hasn’t met yet. Cinderella’s ethereal beauty rendered him still as he waved back at her, returning her parade-like wave that he just knew was for him. He waved at the little toy soldiers, the chipmunks and many other characters that had slipped my mind in my adult life.
Each time I saw a new character, I’d point: Bryden, there’s so and so and then I’d hurry and get my camera ready, turning my glance first to the character and then to him, hoping to capture all of what he was experiencing. There was so much to take in that he was actually speechless as each of them danced their way down Main Street, but his awe-inspired silence ceased as soon as he saw someone very familiar to him. I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t Santa!
Join me tomorrow for more Nana Holds moments
Evinda
Nana Holds!
Nana Holds!
P.S. Join Steve and me for another talk radio segment on breaking free from co-dependency. We are currently talking about empowerment, which is vital to the breaking-free process. If you can’t join us at 1:00 Pacific time, just click on this link when you can and you will land in our show where you can download to listen at your convenience.www.blogtalkradio.com/Chicklit-Power

No comments:

Post a Comment