Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Jeff's Java hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
So I just want to vent for a minute... I was brushing my teeth and talking to myself, as I usually do, and me and myself were discussing the fact of lying to my kids. Wait, wait, wait! Before you go all "You're a bad parent" on me, I mean I’m talking about the little white lies like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and things like that. Now don't get me wrong; I am guilty of this needless tradition but upon further inspection, I realize that our main arguments for keeping up with these tall tales are that there is magic in them and the kids get to “feel” that magic when they think about these lavish stories.

But wait, isn't Christmas about a virgin who became pregnant with the son of GOD!!!? Isn't Easter about a Man who ROSE FROM THE DEAD!!!? To me that is magical. If we really grasped the reality of those realities, just think of the impression that would leave on their hearts and ours. A virgin birth! Way better than flying reindeer. The Son of God not staying down when death dealt its most powerful blow! No bunny in the world, no matter how big he is, is more awesome than that. And both of these things were done so that we could inherit eternal life and forgiveness of sins and we are taking these truths and covering them up with lies.

Now I know that I am a few months off season here to be blabbering on about these holidays but when you talk to yourself while brushing your teeth, the subject matter is bound to go places. The message I send to my kids, even after I come clean with them about Santa and the bunny, is that if it is an important enough reason, and if everyone is doing it, then it is Ok to lie; wait! But it’s just a white lie. It's all the same no matter what color the lie is!

Pheeeew! Ok I am done. Maybe I will start listening to music when I brush my teeth from now on. d:-) I love you guys more and more…

Jeff's Java
Jeff

P.S. Join my Mom at Fitness 19 in Yucaipa for the Fight for Sarah Armento Fundraiser 5% of her book sales will go toward helping Sarah win this fight of stage 4 cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment