Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wednesday’s Word


Soaring with Wings of an Eagle
Isaiah 40:31: But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not grow weary; they shall walk and not faint.
Thanks for joining me for Coffee Hour and Wednesdays’ Word @ Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United. Grab your coffee and your strand of faith and let’s go ties some knots together as I invite you to take this leap of faith with me.
My husband and I were spending Sunday afternoon with a few of his/our favorite family members: his mom and dad, sister, and two nephews. It was a beautiful sunny Sunday, and from where my sister-in-law lives, you can see for miles on a clear day, which it just so happened to be. Our nephews were entertaining themselves out in the gorgeous back yard and took turns swinging on the infamous swing that hung from one of the largest trees I’ve seen in a long, long time. The swing was made of heavy braided rope and a green plastic plate, at least that’s what it’s always looked like to me.
I had watched them do this so many times: taking turns to climb up the tree as if they had four legs, so quickly, confidently and matter-of-factly. And then they would grab the rope, one hand above the other, and almost without warning, they would jump, wrapping their feet around the rope and placing their bottom down on the round saucer-type seat attached but not until they were in mid flight!
As I watched them his particular Sunday I couldn’t help but feel joyously childish and an unfamiliar envy tried to come to the surface but the adult in me quickly quieted that desire with the ringing of the dinner bell. Seriously, my sister-in-love has a dinner bell that my husband loves to ring when it’s time to herd us all in for dinner.
Ah, true contentment, these Sunday moments spent in the moments.
We sat on the front porch and shared a great meal with plenty of food and laughter, too. Afterwards, I cleaned up a bit and went to sit and relax, but not for long. My nephews began to literally beg me to come and swing with them. It was almost as if they heard that childish envy as they abandoned themselves carelessly to the flight on that swing. I mean, it was beautiful to watch, but to participate in…well that was something on a whole other level that I didn’t know if I could do. That is until I tried.
I asked them to show me in slow motion how to do it; I’m a visual learner. J I tentatively climbed up there – I swear it felt like miles high; at least when I finally dared to look down, and the air caught in my throat, it felt like miles. I grabbed the swing just like they told me to, left hand above the right hand and swung out…but I forgot to wrap my legs around that saucer-type part of the swing so when I got halfway down, I hit and it wasn’t a gentle landing! Their laughter was contagious, and it felt good to join them and not feel as though they were laughing at me!
“You forgot to put your butt down on the swing,” my youngest nephew said. The sound of more laughter echoed in the breeze and it stirred me to a new level of determination.
I climbed up there again, and this time my youngest nephew was right up there with me and helped me get that saucer-type swing under my behind after I had positioned my hands. One…two…three…and I was off, flying in the air abandoned to my inner child, laughing as if no one was listening with each return I made mid-air. It was exhilarating and freeing all at the same time. To have jumped and for those moments to be completely free of the cares of this world, stress nowhere near me, nothing able to touch me but the breeze in the air as if to say “I am with you,” oh, what a feeling; such pure, overflowing joy.
And then I wondered…
Is this what it’s like to soar on wings of eagles, to be so abandoned in our faith that we are blind to the risks and the stresses that surround us, threaten to captivate our attention off of the One who gives us wings? Oh, Father, I want to soar through life on wings of eagles with a childlike faith, my focus on the flight, and not on the risks!
How about you, Coffee Hour Friend, what has you stuck in your journey, afraid to make that leap of faith and soar as with wings of eagles? Maybe it’s time to take flight and trust Him.
Soaring,
Evinda

P.S. Join me for Coffee Hour Live on Thursday 10:00 PST @ www.facebook.com/EvindaLepins

No comments:

Post a Comment