Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wednesday’s Word





James 4:3: You ask and do not receive because you ask amiss that you may spend it on your pleasures.”
Can you believe it; September’s already in full swing! Wow, time is so precious and I thank you for taking some of yours to join us for Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power and Wednesday’s Word @ Trench Classes United.

Last week my husband and I went on a little four-day getaway to Cle Elum, Washington – I had never even heard of Cle Elum J Well, let me tell you, it’s a beautiful little town full of history, and trees…lots and lots of trees, oh, and hills, beautiful, green hills, old, old houses, and very nice people, oh, and did I mention wild life roaming free?!

Why did we go to Cle Elum? Well, my husband’s sister and brother-in-law have a ranch out there and they’ve been asking us to come visit them for a couple of years now. So we decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary out there and I’m so, so glad we did!

My sister-in-law actually flew with us – they also have a home in Upland, CA, so her husband picked us up at the airport…in style, with a red Cadillac Escalade truck – I soon discovered that he loves red. Anyway, as we pulled onto his property, his pride shown quietly through his smile as he explained various parts of the property, beginning with the entry gate that has a real-life tractor hanging 50 feet up in the air!



As we neared a driveway, I was stunned into silent envy as I viewed the rolling hills to my left and right, and a long and winding road up ahead, a roof peaking out in its midst, getting larger as we got closer. It was the longest driveway I’ve ever seen! As soon as their home came into full view, I was again stunned into silent envy with every angle that we approached. It was absolutely beautiful…and as we made our way inside, and they began to take us on the tour, my silence turned to overwhelmed exclamations. I couldn’t believe all the beautiful details of their custom-built ranch home. They had spared no expense.


By the end of the tour, I had a real bad case of house envy. Don’t get me wrong; I am very happy for them, truly. They both are hard-working, and he’s the owner of a company he started 52 years ago, a company that is thriving! It was crazy, the teeter-totter of emotions I was feeling: happiness for them on one end, and envy on the other, and what was it that bounced me back and forth between the two emotions? This question: Why does God bless some more than others? Have you ever wondered that?
Over the next few days, this question came through the hallway of my heart, rising to my mind, and threatening my joy, but my faith kept me from falling.  And days later, as I sit here reminiscing over the beautiful moments, now sweet memories in the near past, scripture holds me tight, firm on the ground of faith.


See, while God desires for us to have abundant life, it doesn’t always include beautiful homes, cars, and financial freedom, especially if it is used for one’s own pleasure that is void of kingdom purposes. James hits the bull’s eye straight into my heart with this verse:  You ask and do not receive because you ask amiss that you may spend it on your pleasures.”


Could it be that I’m not necessarily asking for the wrong things, just maybe not asking for the right reasons? Do I want the right things for the wrong reasons?


Thing.....




Evinda



No comments:

Post a Comment