Monday, June 27, 2016

Jenn's Journey

Some weeks I am inspired easily on what to blog about, other weeks, not so much. Other times, I have so many thoughts rolling around in my head it's difficult to organize them. This week, it's both! Please grab a cup of coffee, or tea and read on.
Lately, I've been contemplating self'. Everywhere I look, including into my own heart, it seems that things boil down to ME. How in the world have we become so concerned with ourselves and our beliefs that it becomes paramount to promote that at the expense of others?
I was talking with a friend who was lamenting over a habit her husband has that she cannot stand. Granted, the habit could be annoying, but at the same time, it's something that has not changed over many years of marriage. She said, "If he really loved me, he'd change this for me." 
Another friend I have appears to give selflessly for others and has many accolades and pats on the back for doing so. Yet, this person complains that after all she does, she gets nothing back. 
Social media is full of people trying to force others to see their viewpoint, as if theirs is the only one that counts. We've all seen the comments that blatantly tear someone down due to a different belief. We've seen news coverage of protestors at funerals -- heaven help us -- and riots over differing political parties. 
Contrast all of this with an article I read about relationships, specifically marriage, but I think it applies to all. One simple question that changes so many things: "What can I do to make your day better?" What if I/we asked that and actually DID that for someone else expecting nothing back? What if we simply heard a viewpoint different than ours without giving an opinion back? What if I stopped believing that someone's behavior was an indicator of my worth? Or that my worth depends on making myself heard?
This verse: "But understand this: In the last days terrible times will come. “For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, without love of good"…2 Timothy 3:2 By asking “What can I do to make your day better,” we would be going against the times…are you up for the challenge?
God help me to be contrary to the mainstream. 
Until next week, be blessed,

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment