Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Wednesday's Word

Our Sphere of Influence
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven! Matthew 5:16
Welcome to Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United. I love Wednesday’s Word time, a time where we can take a scripture and apply it to our own life in a way that brings it to life within us so that it may come out of us! Grab your coffee and your Strand of Faith and let’s go ties some knots together! Oh, we’re going to the Hollywood Bowl with over 17,000 others!
It was the perfect weather to have a little picnic before actually going inside the Hollywood Bowl. It wasn’t too warm or too cold. There was a slight breeze that kissed our skin every few minutes and wafted on into the air, making the sky so clear and the leaves of the trees sing as a beautiful backdrop for what we knew would be a great experience. It was a perfect night for a concert under the stars! 
As the starting time drew near, the area we were in filled up. Everywhere I looked, I saw the same thing. I felt a feeling of dismay as I realized I hadn’t gotten the memo to wear all black! It was like this giant sea of black with maybe a sprinkle of color every few hundred yards. I was one of those sprinkles! I shrugged that dismay off my shoulders as quick as it came and continued to enjoy our friends, the great picnic food, and a glass of wine. What in the world…I tried not to cringe as the smell of pot began to fill my nostrils more than I’d ever experienced! Really?! Again, I determined in my heart to enjoy this time and not let others weaknesses weaken me!
When it was time to make our way to our seats, I marveled at how simple it seemed, how traffic just seemed to flow to their assigned seats. I mean, we are talking 17,500 people! By the way, not one fight broke out; the overall sense was that everyone was there for a good time to see a great band, all there for one purpose. Hold that thought.
It took us about 15-20 minutes to make it all the way around and up to Section T2 and by the time we sat down, I was definitely a bit winded and grateful for a seat. But as I took in the gorgeous view, inhaling the fresh air and exhaling any tension, I marveled at the view! It was calming, peaceful, despite all the thousands of people. 
As the Bowl filled up, and people began to show their enthusiasm for The Cure to take the stage, I was struck with a thought that I don’t ever think I’ll forget: Imagine having this kind of influence that can bring this many people together! What would it be like to have the responsibility of having influence over this many people? What would you do with it?
I shuddered at the thought! What a ginormous responsibility!
Matthew 5:14 comes to mind, the words spoken by Jesus Himself: “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” So at that moment in time, actually for almost three hours, The Cure was a city on the hill, not hidden. Verse 15 tells us that a lamp is put on a lamp stand, not under a basket so it may give light to all who are in the house. In this part of time, for the three hours, The Cure was to give light to all in the house of the Hollywood Bowl.
Now, please don’t get me wrong; I’m not judging this band in any way whatsoever; I’m merely bringing the spiritual component of life to this moment in time. Aren’t we supposed to bring Him with us wherever we go?  
The point I’m trying to make is we ALL have a sphere of influence. Now grant it, it may not be the size of the Hollywood Bowl, and we are not The Cure, but we are all called to let our lights shine for all to see “in the house” which means wherever we are.  This may be while waiting in line at the grocery store, or at a fast-food place, or in the bank; but the one place we all have a sphere of influence is within our own homes. Why does the light seem to go out in our homes? Why oh why is it so difficult to let that light shine in the house and so easy to pick up that broom and ride?
When we get there, we will be reminded of who was involved in our sphere of influence, and the greater the influence, the more this scripture rings true: to whom much is given, much is required; the bigger the sphere, the more responsibility. 
Who or whom has God put in your sphere of responsibility? Be on the lookout because it could increase…or decrease daily!
Love,

Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment