Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Wednesday's Word

Just One Wish! 
Psalm 121:1-2: I will lift up my eyes to the hills from where comes my help? My help comes from the Lord Who made heaven and earth

Welcome to Coffeehour @ Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United! I’m so glad you could join us today! Grab your beverage and your strand of faith and let’s go talk about making a wish!
If you could have one wish, what would it be?
Isn’t that an interesting question? This very topic came up just last week while on a flight to Texas. If you’ve ever flown before, you know it’s not too hard to make a friend on the planes nowadays considering how close we are forced to sit to one another! She was on her way back home after surprising her son…interesting since I was on my way to Texas to surprise my grandson. By the way, did you know they have a crossing-over ceremony for elementary school to middle school? I sure didn’t but I was taking this opportunity to make some great memories and go cheer for him after surprising him. 
Anyway, back to my conversation. Thinking about it now, I can’t help but marvel at the ease with which our conversation maneuvered right into our hearts…hearts of two moms swapping parenting stories and burdens. It wasn’t long before we both realized we had something quite major in common, a mother’s heart that aches for her child/children when they are struggling in life and cheers for each and every victory they win. 
In the course of our conversation, the topic of having just one wish came up. She shared something sweet and appropriate that her youngest son had shared. He’s in his first year of college, and his girlfriend was literally ripped from him due to depression, and subsequently diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder so she’s spending the last of her first year of college in a hospital. Of course he wanted her better and back on campus. She smiled as she shared her son’s wish, and then suddenly her eyes filled with pain. She said “If I had just one wish, I’d wish for addiction to go completely away, just go completely away.”
I sat there for a few seconds, stunned into silent and more in agreement than disagreement. What a wonderful wish! Of course that wish opened up the door for more parenting stories, nonfiction stories of losses because of others’ addictions, but it stirred something within me and got me to thinking. Uh-oh!  
I wondered to myself, especially because of all I’ve experienced as it relates to addiction, and because of the curriculum that He wrote through me and teaches through me, if that one wish were granted, would it solve all life’s problems? Is the problem of addiction really the problem…or a symptom of a deeper issue?
I mean at first thought, without going deeper and exploring it, it sounds good, seems as though many problems are entwined with addiction, and they are, and yet, honestly, it’s rather simplistic and somewhat unrealistic. So I ask myself, if I had one wish, what would it be? 
Well, here goes: I’d wish that all would come to the reality of the necessity of their need of a Savior which would be as a result of accepting that we are all broken in one form or another and that He loves us through our brokenness; that we can’t do life without Him. What if everyone were to quit hiding in unresolved guilt and shame, quit making decisions on fear, despair, let go of rage and anger, and stopped thinking they had to have someone to be someone? What if everyone just got honest with themselves and allowed others as well as themselves to look back, not fall back, glance back, not stay back, own it so they could disown it;  grieve it so they could leave it? What if we all quit pointing the finger, stayed in our own lanes, in our own cars so we stopped causing so many emotional wrecks?
In other words, what if everyone just looked up and realized where their help comes from?
Maybe, just maybe, the beauty that comes from the brokenness could be and would be appreciated by more of us and maybe more would see Jesus in us.
So if you had one wish, what would you wish?
Looking to Him from Whom my help comes from,

Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment