Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday's Word




Moving Forward While Going Backwards
2nd Corinthians 4:16: Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yes, the inward man is being renewed day by day!

Thanks for joining me for a little coffee break and our Wednesday’s Word! Grab your coffee, hot or cold, and your strand of faith. My hope and prayer is that you will be able to tie some knots in your faith and share a giggle or two!
I just love how scripture can splash such a bright perspective on a not-so-bright subject, for example aging! No, don’t go anywhere; stay with me. Let’s have some fun with this! I so need this perspective right now especially considering some “changes” I am literally seeing in my outer self! I mean, it’s like this morphing is going, like something or someone is taking over my external shell and I can’t do a darned thing about it!  It’s almost a daily discovery when I dare to look in the mirror only to discover a new wrinkle on my face, or a new cottage-cheese type dimple on some part of my extremities! J J I mean, what’s going on here? Is this the type of thing that drives people to plastic surgery?!!
There are just some things you have to laugh about; otherwise, you can wind up going backwards while life is going forward in  a not-so-positive way. Let me share a couple of “you know you’re aging when” lines with you and hopefully, if you can’t relate, at least you’ll get a good giggle out of them:
You know you’re aging when…you’re doing a pushup and have to pick your stomach up! J
You know you’re aging when…your girls look like old utters gone south! J
You know you’re aging when…you stand up and your skin goes down…around your knees, your ankles! J
You know you’re aging when…every time you dare to look in the mirror, you see your mother staring back at you!
J
You know you’re aging when…you you mistake an aging spot for a freckle!
You know you’re aging when…you lift your arm up and feel an aftershock of skin jiggling! J
I mean, I could keep this up for pages, but let me get on to the positive side of moving forward while going backwards! That’s exactly what this scripture is telling us. I truly believe with all of my heart that Jesus knew we’d have a hard time with this whole aging thing, and not just us women, either. That’s why the beginning of the verse says, “Therefore, we do not lose heart.”  But what comes next is like diamonds, an absolute treasure, a fantastic perspective on this topic of aging: even though our outward woman/man is wrinkling, covered in aging spots, losing shape and elasticity, because of who we are in Christ, inwardly, we are being renewed, getting younger and ready for eternity!
Sure, this whole external appearance can be a bit disgruntling, but it’s only temporary! This life really is a dress rehearsal. I don’t have to be consumed about my appearance because I won’t always have these wrinkles, and this skin that goes south while I stand up north, and the aging spots I try to pass off as big freckles, and…I am being made new, day by day and in Him I am young again but maturing!
Striving to age a bit more gracefully….

Evinda




No comments:

Post a Comment