Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wednesday's Word


First Response
Romans 12:12-…”rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer”…
Thanks so much for joining us for Coffee Hour & Wednesday’s Word! Grab your beverage and your Strand of Faith and let’s go tie some knots as we talk about our first responses.
When you hear a siren, what do you do? If you’re driving, hopefully you pull over and let them go speeding past you; but if you’re otherwise preoccupied, what do you do? The sound of a siren is the sound of a first response to something traumatic, something gone wrong in someone’s world. To the person injured, it’s the sign of help; to the one who caused the problem, well, maybe a sense of fear.   
What is it we do when something doesn’t go as planned in our world, let alone when something traumatic happens? Many of us have had those moments when the news we received was just to o much to bear and we couldn’t stand so instead, we kneeled…hopefully in prayer, while our brains were reeling with questions, and anguish laced with frustration, and yes, even anger. We look around and have to face the cold and hard truth: that life is happening on life’s terms and we have no control over any of it. The one thing we do have control over is how we respond to it! 
I had yet another opportunity to have a healthy first response just the other day; unfortunately, I think I grieved over the lack of the right first response almost as much as I grieve the problem that sent me responding the wrong way! The good news is that because I do abide in Him, I didn’t stay in the wrong response for long.  What sent me reeling? Uh, let me just say that our monthly income has been decreased by more than $3k! Talk about a mind-reeling, send-you-to-your-knees awakening!
But because our income is decreasing, my faith muscles will continue to increase as I put so many of His promises that are in me to the test! I trust that the plan He has for me isn’t to tear me down, but to build me up. Apparently, this comes with a cost and that’s okay because I won’t be broke in Heaven! I must continue to remind myself that my ERA (eternal retirement account) is bigger than my IRA! I trust that this current situation is being used for our good and His glory because if I can praise Him in the storm, how much more beautiful will the ride be when the storm has subsided? As long as I am seeking Him first, everything else’s importance diminishes. Weeping may be for a moment, but joy comes in the mourning…oh, morning! 
Can I encourage you to find a promise that will help you with your First Response?!
Practicing a better first response,

Evinda 

No comments:

Post a Comment