Friday, December 16, 2016

Faith-Filled Friday




Welcome to Faith-Filled Friday and Jon’s blog. I invite you to really allow his words to make their way down into your heart. Many of us have never, ever goin through all that he has, but some of us have. What would it look like if we truly sacrificed for the sake of giving a special gift? And oh, the thought of going without hugs…hmmm, hurry inside! You’re going to enjoy this thought-provoking Faith-Filled Friday!

Hello again everyone!

So the buzz of the holiday season is all around. This year I am trying to buy more gifts for more people. I want to get gifts that bring a wealth of smiles and warmth. The challenge is picking/finding what gifts I can afford as it has become increasingly difficult to afford things this last year. I have had to find creative ways to cut back throughout the year to prepare for this season. I even worked a few more side jobs and when I fell short, I decided to fast! This has worked as you'd be surprised what one can afford after not buying groceries! I was inspired to do this by something I once saw that Mormons do in their religion. They fast one weekend a month so they can give back the food they would have consumed to the less fortunate. I always loved the thought of that. For me, it's been interesting to cut corners in a few other ways but the thought of the smiles makes it so worth it. 

It's been a humbling thing to go hungry to get gifts. I actually consider it a blessing because things like this keep me humble. I won't be telling anyone I get the gifts for that I did this. But let me share with you just why I consider it a blessing. We never know just what people put into the gifts they give. I remember as a young boy trying to make my mother incredible gifts. I wanted no only to see her smile and be happy but I wanted her to feel loved. Shouldn't gifts we give to others be wrapped up not only in gift wrap but the very love we have for them? There is like this mystical side to thinking about the process one goes through to get a gift as well. Were they stressed out beyond belief while getting presents for others as well? Did they endure Black Friday shopping?
There is often a lot of stress and even heartache around the holidays. But I'd like to challenge everyone to think of just what goes into a gift. For me the process of merely being thought of makes me feel good.

I absolutely love getting lost in the creativity of what I can get and make for gifts. I really hope that children everywhere feel loved and cherished through the simple act of gift-giving. But the biggest gifts we can give others are our love, compassion, listening, friendship, empathy. Even a mere hug is so crucial to give and for many to receive. When I was homeless I remember going for huge stretches of time without a simple hug. I truly believe that God gave us the gift of a hug just so we can feel loved. I remember after being homeless for such a long period of time that when I finally did receive a hug, it felt almost alien to me. For someone to put their arms around me feels amazing. There is no such thing as a casual hug. Being alone and homeless only has cemented my thoughts and feelings that Christmas is amazing because it helps us center on others and their needs. It really is a time when we should stop and think more about sacrifice of men who serve afar and keep us safe at home. 

This year I am reaching out more via mail and sending cards. I will not just take time atop a keyboard wishing many a Merry Christmas. I know that for many of us we have a lot to be sad about in the holiday season, but we can rise above those feelings of depression. We can really reach out to love others, do for others. And in doing so, we will be reaching out our hand to God! So what do you say? Reach a hand out and thank Him for HIs love, but be watchful in the many ways in which He does love us. 

Have a blessed week everyone and may you feel loved in & out of your trenches. :)

John



No comments:

Post a Comment