Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Wednesday’s Word








First Steps

Matthew 19:26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by for Coffee Hour and Wednesday’s Word @ Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United.  As I write from my heart to yours, I pray that you will be compelled to ties some knots in your strand of faith, strengthening it for those times when you feel wobbly, and unable to take the next step.
Last Saturday, I was busy in my home office and above the noise in my head I heard George calling me, and not just calmly, but there was a hint of urgency in his voice so I dropped whatever I was doing and his next words rendered me running towards him. “Isaiah’s walking!” I must have made it to him in three seconds. He was sitting on the couch looking at a video on his phone and I could hear my son’s voice, and my daughter-in-love’s voice. I bent down and looked at the video, and got teary eyed as I watched our little just-turned-one-year-old grandson ever so tentatively, thoughtfully and not quite so confidently begin to take his first steps.
Sure, mommy was bribing him with some treats…but our Father has treats for us, too, when we hold our hand out to Him and allow Him to help us!  
He had one hand outstretched to his mommy, his gaze never leaving her face, not even for a second. He was so, so focused, determined to do it…and he wasn’t in a hurry. In the background was his daddy, “Come on, little guy; you can do it!” Then a gasp, “look! Look! Look! He’s taking another one!”
The encouragement from his mommy, daddy, and big brother and sister added to the beauty of this monumental moment in this little guy’s life. You could feel all of their excitement; it was as if I was almost right there – of course it made me want to be soooo bad. It won’t be long before he’s walking so fast and mommy and daddy have to chase him!
Watching those tentative first steps got me to thinking – uh-oh! Like the first steps of a child, we too are asked to take first steps toward seemingly uncomfortable situations and circumstances which require encouragement from others and focus and courage from the one stepping out. With each step taken, confidence comes.
Every one of us has had to take a “first step” many times over; and if you think about it, that’s what life is all about, first steps towards newness of life, whether it be a first step toward sobriety, a new attitude, a new relationship, a new job, a new home, a new healthy habit to replace an old unhealthy one, or what about that first step toward healing a broken relationship?
Many times we find ourselves overwhelmed with life, wondering how we are going to get through it. Could it be that we are to be just like little Isaiah, keeping our eyes on our Father, our hand held out, accepting His help to move forward one step at a time?
Life moves fast enough without us making it a race…let’s learn to walk it one step at a time, hand in hand with the One who will always pick us up if we falter!
Love,,
Evinda



No comments:

Post a Comment