Friday, December 9, 2016

Faith Filled Friday









Welcome back everyone to another Faith Filled Friday.

Last night I watched the 11pm news, just like I have for years. I watch to see the weather so I know how to proceed with the night of work ahead of me. After a couple weeks of rain, finally there was a dry day in the forecast. This makes my job so much easier and tends to put me in a better mood as I prepared for work.

I was an hour in to work when the raindrops started falling and I had to go back and redo some of my work to prepare for the rain. I let it bug me and really get under my skin. I blamed the weather man for not doing his job and making mine harder. I was just irritated the rest of the night. 

I was so happy when I finally finished and was driving home. As I pulled onto my street I saw a man wrapped in a blanket walking in the rain. I looked at his face as I pulled in to park in front of my home. He looked so lost and worried. The look on his face was very familiar to me. I myself had been there before and in fact I still spend much of my days wondering if I too will once again be homeless. The feeling of "What do I do?" "What is going to happen to me, become of me?"
As I struggled with my thoughts, I witnessed him pace back and forth not knowing where to go. I felt incredibly sad for him. Part of me wanted to invite him to come inside my home. But I decided I just couldn't do it because I also didn't get the best vibe. 

But I knew I could not ignore him though.  I hurried inside and even though I didn’t have much food in the home, I had gathered some of the food I did have, grabbed an old rain jacket and some garbage bags for him to put some of this things into to keep them dry. I had to hurry because I didn't want him to get too far. I hopped in my vehicle and drove up around the block and came back. When I stopped and asked to speak with him he was so upset because he said he was not ready for the rain that had started. Oh, how I could relate with that one!
When I was homeless the weather was always the hardship I could never fully prepare for. It's unforgiving. To be cold, wet, hungry, and to have no resources with you that are your own is the most despairing feeling. I will never forget it no matter how long I live. Perhaps that’s what moved me to do what I did next.

I opted to let him sit in my vehicle with me and we talked and talked. Over the course of that conversation I came to understand a few things about him. He did not hide the fact he was an alcoholic and had some other issues with addiction. I admired the fact that he could be transparent to a stranger and that I genuinely felt he was trying to find his way back like I once had. So I gave him some ideas and gave him the name of some resources. But I also told him that despair doesn't have to be a negative thing either; that it can drive us to do amazing things. It can teach us to never stop being humbled by the events in life, some good; some bad. I could see so much of myself in him when I was younger. I mean there before me was my younger self. I never dabbled with addiction like some did. I have been able to stop drinking when I saw that it could have been leading me down a bad road. But oh that despair, that feeling of hopelessness!

As we parted ways I felt the need to ask him if I could pray with him. I had never asked anyone before in a situation like that if I could pray with them. It felt almost alien to me for it to even pop into thought. But it did and I rolled with it. While praying, he started crying. My eyes watered so hard for him amidst that prayer.... But during that prayer, something sovereign happened: the rain stopped!

It was the coolest feeling! He was so happy to see it had stopped raining and it did something for my soul as well. On the drive home I had thought about how bugged I was that I had to go back after the rain had started and how petty it really seemed in comparison to this man's days as living homeless, and to be clothed in such despair.
Let's all remember to be grateful for the shelter over our heads, to thank God above for it. If you all don't mind, please join me in prayer for this young man. He did not want to give me his name which I respect but, please, let's pray that he finds shelter for his mind, body and soul.

Much love everyone

John Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment