Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Wednesday’s Word









I’m In the Nine; Make Me like the One!


Luke 17:11-19
Welcome to Wednesday’s Word with Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United. I’m delighted to have this time with you! Grab your holiday latte’ and your Strand of Faith and let’s go ties some knots as we bring a Biblical principle into our hearts.

It was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, Mike Frisch, our associate pastor shared a message about having an attitude of gratitude. Now, I can’t begin to count how many sermons/messages I’ve heard on this subject, but this one moved me closer to this attitude than I think I’ve ever been. I felt like I was staring my attitude of ingratitude right in the face as I sat there, tears streaming down my face as his words from the Word pierced my heart wide open, revealing the depth of my painful confession that was spilling out without containment.

His message was based on the true story of the Ten Lepers found in Luke 17:11-19.  As he was building the framework of his message, which he is so gifted at doing, he incorporated some cultural and historical facts that bring this story right up to the moment. Within minutes, I found myself in this portion of scripture. Mike has this uncanny ability to do that. See, leprosy in Biblical times brought isolation and shame internally while externally many eventually lost limbs due to no treatment; no one would treat it so how could they get better? But ten men hear of Jesus coming and they keep their distance but 13call out saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” And when Jesus saw them, He didn’t run and hide for fear of catching their disease, nor did He treat them rudely or disrespectfully. He merely spoke healing into them from a distance and told them to 14“Go show yourselves to the priests.”

Now there is so much significance in those words, but I’ll try and shorten it! J Lepers suffered not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually as well for they were what we would term excommunicated from all interactions with anyone so now they’re being told by Jesus to go and show themselves to the priest, and the priest, well he isn’t allowed to be anywhere near a leper or he would be excommunicated. So there are all sorts of problems with this command…for one who receives healing and doesn’t believe. But…this is a big one…these ten went on their way as they were instructed and “they were made clean.”

Oh, this is another time I so wish I could have been a fly in the journey to watch for the exact moment of when they were made clean. Scripture doesn’t tell us when, just that they were. And then it goes on to say in verse 15: 15 Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed turned back, praising God with a loud voice.” Scripture goes on to tell us that this former leper made his way back to Jesus and prostrated himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him and Jesus asked about the other nine!

He made his way back to his Healer to thank Him and it’s at this moment that I realize and am forced to ask the question, how many times has He done something for me, made good on a promise, healed me of something or someone, and I forgot to show up to thank Him, let alone get on my face to thank Him! Why is it that something we deem for our good gets lost in what we deem not so good, in other words, a positive is stronger than a negative, but we focus on the negative? 

As Mike was finishing up his message with some questions to ask ourselves as it relates to showing gratitude to others, I was lost in the sweet and powerful emotions of conviction that can render a soul clean…and thankful!
Take a few moments and read this portion of scripture with these questions in mind:

What do I take for gratitude? Who needs to hear gratitude from me? What can I do to show gratitude today?

Thanking Him for this time with you,

Evinda




No comments:

Post a Comment