Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Wednesday’s Word





Humility Brings Redemption

1st Peter 5:6-7: Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God that He may exalt you in due time, 7casting all your cares on Him for He cares for you

Happy Wednesday and thanks for joining us for Wednesday’s Word @ Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United. Grab your favorite break time drink and your strand of faith. We’ve got some knots to tie to insure our faith doesn’t unravel in the process of achieving humility.
A couple of weeks ago, I shared a true story that told on myself, that I was so focused on my own agenda that I only half participated in a divine appointment, missing the opportunity to really share Jesus with a 14-month cancer patient, a lady who seemed so vivacious, joyful that learning she had cancer was almost incredulous…but after listening to her for several stops on the train ride, I knew she was being truthful. And her good-bye really clinched it when she got off earlier than I suspected and thanked me for listening…but I hadn’t given her both ears!

Anyway, I did reach out to her via text and voicemail but have not heard back. Talk about a dose of humility. But this mistake has been bathed in God’s grace, and no, I haven’t been given a second chance with that lady,; however, a week later, while getting ready to board the train, focused yet again on all I wanted to accomplish, He interrupted me, reminding me of my missed opportunity the week saying, not if I have another divine appointment for you and a different plan. Enter humility and please, sit for a while!

My attention went to an African-American guy who approached me asking if I would buy his ticket for cash as he was now getting a ride. “I already purchased mine. Thank you.”

I watched as he got his cash from someone else, and then tried to bamboozle somebody else and then a young lady went up to the machine and he followed her. I watched him and you know how you get that gut feeling that something isn’t right? Well, that overwhelmed me and moved me at the same time. I looked down and immediately recognized her case; it looked like a court reporting case. I tapped her on the shoulder. “Are you a court reporter?”

Her smile warmed my heart and answered my question. She quickly affirmed me and I whispered to her to keep getting her own ticket; that this guy was up to no good. I stayed with her and we walked toward the train together. I explained that I had witnessed that guy approaching several people and heard him lie differently each time. She was very thankful and followed me to the car I chose, and sat right across from me. We talked the ENTIRE way to Los Angeles! I wasn’t about to miss this divine appointment! I was blown away by her story. It always amazes me that I don’t need to look far to discover stories of wounding, addiction, failed relationships. And her story involved all of that and more.

She had obviously worked through a lot of her stuff but still has doubts, concerns and relational struggles, all things that a relationship with Christ could/would heal. I did share the reality of the necessity of a loving God, His grace that had gotten me thus far. We exchanged numbers just before arriving at L.A. Union Station, and as I said good-bye to her, I knew in my heart that it wasn’t good-bye, that I would be seeing her again, because I had not missed this appointment, there was a dual blessing: hers and mine!

Incidentally, we have been in touch, several times and she is coming to our Night of Purpose on January 19th. I can’t wait to see her and share how she was an answer to one of my cares that appointment day!

Humbled,


Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment