Friday, February 10, 2017

Faith Filled Friday



Welcome back to Faith Filled Friday's everyone.

One day after work last week, I went to get gas and I guess my credit card fell out of my pocket. About 20 minutes after I got home, I noticed a tag on Facebook. It was someone on another group that had found my credit card at the gas station. So when the girl who found it (Molly Hassler) said she could meet me that same evening and give it back, I thought I would get her some flowers, a small piece of chocolate and a $20 reward.

After meeting this nice girl and getting my credit card back, I was on my way home and saw an elderly homeless man walking down the street very slow. He stood out to me and so I thought I would grab a burger, some fries and a drink and give them to him. After giving him the food, I talked to him for a while and talked to him about his situation. I found out his name was Sam and that he was also a fellow Veteran.

I asked him if he was cold and he stated that he didn't have a blanket. I asked him if he would like me to go get one. His evident happiness was all I needed to go get one for him. I ran home and started going through the blankets I had. None of them seemed right…till I came across one that was quite special to me. 

This blanket was so important to me for it had once kept me through such cold nights. You see it had seen me through my own season of homelessness. It would be so hard to give away because I had a lot of sentimental value tied up in it. I just can't tell you how valuable a blanket is when you have nothing, not even warmth. A blanket is not only a refuge but a promise. But even more importantly, a glimpse of this blanket was a constant reminder to keep me humble and to remind me where I come from, the things I have been to and through.

I know that the purpose of a blanket is to keep a person warm and I needed to let it go, to let this blanket fulfill its purpose. I took the blanket and also filled a couple of bags with some baby wipes, bottled water and some canned goods.

I made my way back to Sam and placed the two bags in his old shopping cart that he had been pushing around. I didn't go into too much detail but I did share with him that despite the blanket being worn that it had a history and that I wanted him to not only feel warmer in it but safe and that while wrapped in it, he will find himself covered in prayer.

He was so very grateful for it. I truly hope it does for him what it did for me. I have not seen him since we parted ways but I still pray for him. In this experience I must say that I think Sam and I both received something in that moment. I have struggled with the ability in life to let go of things. There comes a time when letting go is not merely crucial, but a blessing. Our souls can endure so much but these things grow heavy to endure. So the soul’s empathy has an innate ability to let our hands release what we hold onto. Why? Could it be because it was a blessing from God above to begin with?

Letting go is often just what we need to do, not just for our own peace, but also for love for our neighbor. I have also learned through the course of life that there are many stages, many chapters to letting go. Living with PTSD is surely about letting go, many times over, but I believe God will use me... much like the blanket and just like the blanket has a purpose, so does God have one for you and most definitely for me. 

Much love everyone. Your friend & brother in the journey...
Jon

https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment