Monday, December 11, 2017

Monday’s Mantra


God is not a cosmic vending machine!
Welcome to Coffee Hour at Chicklit Power and Megan’s Monday Mantra with Trench Classes United.

The following is my friend Mike’s response to my last week’s blog; God is not a cosmic vending machine. Mike is the one who quoted those life changing words to me.

His response, in my opinion, masterfully illustrates the heart, of each and every one of us, as we wrestle to define God in our own lives as well as how to bring Him into the lives of others. Even though this is a tale of two friends, each one of us will find a piece of ourselves in this story.

Mike writes…

“Wow, Megan, this is one of the best of all your blogs, yet. It resonated with me when you described our conversation that ended with my famous quote about the vending machine. I did listen that day; and I did feel your frustration. I felt your defeat. I knew there was a big disconnect between you and God, because my Bible says, “He loved us even while we’re yet sinners” – failures. I wanted to communicate that divine love to you, but I didn’t even know where to start. Your arguments were very logical, and I kept thinking you needed something logical and profound in return. My answer sounded too simple (“Jesus loves me; this I know, for the Bible tells me so.”)

“All the while you were pouring out your heart to me about your perceived insignificance to God, I prayed that He would give me an answer just for you. I had been looking for opportunities to tell you about the love of Jesus, but each time one came, it would be at a bad time. Many times your questions could not be answered with one or two words; they required a foundation and some background – and you would hit me with them at the most inopportune times. I felt totally inadequate, myself, for not being able to help. Maybe, as He often does, the Lord was dealing with me at the time, too, in situations where my strengths were irrelevant and my weaknesses were glaringly evident, to quote Sarah Young. But, I was convinced that I had completely failed you and Him.

“I’m reminded of another strange quote I read years ago by Donald Grey Barnhouse, “God doesn’t handle all His affairs in October.” Now, I’m privileged to watch you grow spiritually through our many conversations and through your blog, in which He teaches me as well. You have no idea what a thrill it is to see someone you care about come to Jesus, knowing you had a part in it – but you will someday.

“Blessings in Abundance,
Mike”

Thank you Mike for your heartfelt honesty. Your response means more to me than I can find words for. Thank you for allowing me to share this with our readers.

Lovingly in Christ,
Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment