Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Tuesday’s Trench Truth




When let down, we can’t give up!

Have you ever anticipated something with such excitement only to be let down? Oh, but the let down can be a bit of a bummer…and yet there is always beauty if we look! You’re going to love today’s Trench Truth with a former Transformer so grab your favorite break time beverage and join me for Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Tuesday’s Trench Truth with Trench Classes United and Jenn Woosley.

All week V and I looked forward to Thursday evening, because we were going to decorate the house for Christmas. We'd decided to get a white tree…for something different. I knew she had this plan in her head, and I had my fingers crossed and prayers going up that we'd find what she hoped for.
Instead, as is often life's case, we didn't find a tree in the right price range. I watched my daughter go through a range of emotions. First anger, then tears, the “oh let's just forget it all,” then resignation that we'd just get one she'd “settle” for. I told her that I understood her feelings and that I felt bad too. I also encouraged her to think past getting one that was 'okay' to perhaps ordering one that was what she really wanted. After minutes of this emotional storm, she calmed down and we decided to order a tree from Amazon -- might I add in a very good price range. She told me, “Mom, it's ok. I can wait to decorate until that tree comes. I was just disappointed.”
I see myself in this: Expectations dashed which bring on a full range of emotions: a sense of having to just settle, anger and tears to God that what I wanted didn't happen. And yet…I also see Him wrapping His arms around me whispering that He has a different idea in mind. In some circumstances of my life, I am still waiting for that something better. I'll dry my tears, and make the best of what is, in anticipation of what’s to come.
Jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment