Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Nana Holds-from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power…
EL pen Logo with heartThanks so very much for making the time to come have coffee with me. I can’t help but catch my breath every time I write or read the date today, the anniversary of the horrible tragedy twelve years ago that affected our country in such unforgettable ways, the losses still felt all these years later. Life is short and we must make the most of it while we are still in it! Grab your coffee and let’s get back to more of this series, Nana Holds and the rest of the symptoms of the infection that literally destroys relationships.
This next symptom was a very real one for me and until just recently, I didn’t know the reason for it. It basically asks if you are ever uncomfortable in your own skin and do you know why that is. At the time of the event, the answer was definitely yes, more often than I cared to admit. I am so excited to have since discovered the reason which has led me to a cure for this symptom.
See, many of us ignore our “feelings,” but the crazy thing is they actually do have value for they are indicators. Imagine driving a car without giving any signals at all; i.e. you switch lanes without warning, come to an abrupt stop or you back up without warning. Any of these maneuvers could cause an accident. Well, feelings are signals of something going on within, and if you continue to ignore them – either because you’re paying too much attention to everyone else’s feelings, or you are running from something you don’t want to face or aren’t quite ready to face – you get in what I call emotional wrecks!
But how do we acknowledge our feelings without allowing them to drive the emotional car? Well, in our trench class How We Love book picbased on the curriculum How We Love (Milan & Kay Yerkovitch) I would give us a Psalm to read and after reading it, we would go back and circle any “feeling” words. Then we would go through it a third time and underline any of those “feeling” words that we had experienced in the previous week or so.
At first they didn’t understand the point of the exercise, as communicated by my husband. I think it was about the third week when he finally asked, “Why are we doing this anyway?” That’s an honest question, especially coming from a man. My simple answer was: “To put you in touch with your feelings.” That question actually shed a bright light on my understanding of him. Guys typically don’t touch their feelings! And that’s not to stereotype them in any way.
How about you? Do you pay attention to the signals of your emotions? Let’s close today with a simple Psalm. Read through it and then circle any words that in your opinion either express a feeling or bring a feeling to mind. Then, go back and underline any you’ve had recently. The exercise is so exhilarating and freeing!
This Psalm is taken from the New King James version, and “feel” free to re-write it according to your circumstances and watch the Word come alive for you!
A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.
LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.
2: Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.” Selah
3: But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
4: I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah
5: I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
6: I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.
7: Arise, O LORD;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8: Salvation belongs to the LORD.
Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah
Go ahead, do some underlining and journal these feelings! You’ll be glad you did!
Love from above,
Evinda
Nana Holds!
Nana Holds!

Share and Enjoy:
  • email
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment