Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Wednesday’s Word




The 6th of the 7th Presumptuous sins and the Mask
Proverbs 6:19:”… A false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren,”
Thanks so much for stopping by for our time together @ Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Trench Classes United. I love Wednesday’s Word and the opportunity to share from my heart to yours. Grab your coffee, or whatever you’re having, and your Strand of Faith so we can tie some knots in our faith

As I shared in Monday’s Mantra, I’ve been mentoring a 30+ year old young lady in her spiritual journey and had invited her to let me know if she had any questions when it came to reading scripture. She, like many of us, says she reads it and she just doesn’t understand; it doesn’t speak to her, so I’ve given her a couple of tools and tips to use when endeavoring to journey through the Greatest Book ever written. And last week, she called and said she had some questions. I just love it when people take me up on that invitation! It’s usually a win/win where we both learn!

We met a few days later and she opened up her Bible to her questions and it was so refreshing to see where she had circled the portion of scripture she read and put a big question mark to the right of it. I was excited to bite into it and enjoy the scriptural meal with her. J

I asked her if she had ever heard of “The 7 Sins” and she shook her head no.  I read the verses aloud and as I got to verse 19, which reads, “A false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren,” my heart skipped a beat as it collided with my passion.
So let’s push the pause button on my mentoring session for a few minutes because it also collides with this very important question I was asked several weeks ago which I’d like to now ask you:

What moves you so deeply that it keeps you awake at night? Can you even answer that?  I’ve asked that of many people and I am amazed at their inability to answer.
When I read that a few weeks ago, I wrote my answer so fast that I surprised myself! My heart aches over the way in which we’ve been taught not to be transparent in dealing with our past, and to forget it as well as our current struggles! Now, I may step on some toes here, but please know it’s done with a passion for change, not condemnation.
Why is it that we get to a certain age and discover we’ve lost ourselves? Do we just get so busy living that we forget how to really live life? Why do we not live out our God-given potential, and instead become what we think others want us to be?

I think this collides with the 6th of the 7 presumptuous sins, which is being a false witness, and that takes on many forms, but a common and often unconscious form is denying our past, running from it instead of facing it and learning from it. This is a form of poison within the church and is doing a lot of damage.

I have learned firsthand that the way the church spiritualizes emotional issues and dysfunctional cycles as a result of any form of abuse actually makes the problem a bigger problem and creates a mask that we in the faith hide behind!

For over three years, I have watched transparency bring freedom to study dysfunctional cycles, which has helped the transformers not repeat them. Hear this truth, Coffee Hour Friend: History must be studied or we will repeat it!
That’s my heart!

See, the 6th of the 7 presumptuous sins is “a false witness who breathes out lies,” and when we read that, especially if we are “believers,” we think, we’ll that’s not me; whew, I’m safe. However, we see Satan doing his best work in the church! Why is that? How can that be, right? Because hurt people hurt people!

How many times have we heard 1st Corinthians 5:17 which states that when we come to Christ, we’re a new creation all things of old have gone and we are made new (paraphrased)? How many times is that taken as a permission slip to forget about our painful past, but then what?

We can’t deny our past because inevitably effects of the past surface and spill over into every relationship! But when we continue hiding behind our mask of faith, repeating those negative relational cycles without answers, this becomes a false witness.
So what moves you, Friend? What God-given passion is buried inside of you, or hiding behind the mask of faith?

In His Love,

Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment