Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power: April WOW

Less Brings More
Proverbs 17:27

EL pen Logo with heart
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Wow, it’s that time again, time for our monthly WOW, Words of Wisdom and Weapons of Warfare, and interestingly enough, our words this month come from the book of wisdom, Proverbs. Grab your coffee and come on in.

Kind of funny that last month’s WOW was about our words, and now this month’s Words of Wisdom and Weapons of Warfare are about the same thing. What are you trying to tell me, Abba? :)

I am consistently hearing words to this effect: I never knew anyone who had so much to say! For that reason, saying too much is ALWAYS a temptation for me and I often feel like I need one of those lassos and a professional lasso person to reel in that tongue of mine! Have you ever felt like that? Have you ever said something and then BAM! Just like that, you wish you could take it back? Oh, praise Him for His Love Letters that remind us of His mercies being new every morning; that we can never out-speak the gift of His grace!

So the first part of this verse speaks to knowledge as the key to choosing our words carefully -- "He who has knowledge spares his words" -- so let’s check out something about knowledge because I have a sneaky suspicion we are going to be free from condemnation and quietly convicted from what we learn.

The Hebrew translation is a form of “yada” and means: “to know by observing, by reflecting, and to know by experience.”

Do you see it? This type of knowledge requires observation, reflection and . . . EXPERIENCE! He gives us many opportunities to “practice” this kind of wisdom, this choosing our words sparingly. When I think of some of the most powerful lessons that Jesus Himself taught, less was more! Think about it: He didn’t have to throw up on everyone verbally to get His point across!

And when He went to the cross, His last ten words were so powerful they echo in all of our lives today, reminding us of the gift of grace given to us that must be given to others: “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!” (Luke 23:34)

Out of all He could have said before He surrendered to the punishment for all our sins – He could have defended Himself; He could have told God every reason why He didn’t want to go through with it; He could have pointed to the ones who beat Him and given them a what-for, or to those who held His “trial"; He could have finally defended Himself, but no, He left us with His heart, focused on us and not Himself.

I had no idea this WOW was going to take this turn; I had another direction in mind! I have goose bumps as I realize what week this is: Easter, just days before He was crucified for our sins, the time where He paid for every stupid and unkind thing I’ve ever said!

Oh how sovereign He is to be the one who lassos my fingers and tongue, redirecting my focus before I write for you. Join me tomorrow for the conclusion of our April WOW!

In His grip,

Evinda
kim L

No comments:

Post a Comment