Friday, August 25, 2017

Foster’s Faith Filled Friday

Foster’s Faith Filled Friday
Welcome to Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power and Foster’s Faith-Filled Friday, a series written by a young single mom in the journey of life!
Learning to be a “good enough” mom…
Does that phrase “good enough” sound terrible to you? Please let me explain.
Being a “good enough” mother does not mean loving my children one bit less. Instead, it allows them to grow, mature, and become independent, characteristics necessary for them to live a successful life. Understanding this concept really took the pressure off me.

It is one week before my sons 4th birthday and I find myself almost ready to pull my hair out wanting to make his party the best construction-themed birthday party he’s ever had! You know, one of those Pinterest parties which you imagine it turning out like…until you realize the amount of work it is! L

Working Monday-Friday 8-5pm, then picking my son up to run to the store to get supplies, decorations and gifts, getting home every night at 8pm has taken a toll on the both of us. We’re tired. I needed to find rest…

So, I began to change the way I thought about motherhood. Believe me; this was not easy. 
Luckily, before my week unraveled any further, I had a life-changing realization:
Feeling inadequate is not easy. And again, I realize how insignificant the details of this party are to my almost 4 year old. He doesn’t care about the dessert cards or the over-the-top decorations. You know what he cares about? His family and friends being there to celebrate with him, feeling loved and acknowledged.

After that realization, I felt like I could breathe again, I simply can’t raise my son, work full time and also execute Martha-Stewart worthy birthday parties. But you know what? That’s okay! Really! I’ve decided to permanently take off my Super Woman cape. I’m going to cease the super human expectations, take a breath and focus on the one thing I can do. Sometimes that one thing is sitting down playing trains with my sweet boy and sometimes that one thing means putting a movie on and just chilling on the couch.

No, I don’t always float around on a cloud of peaceful acceptance, not at all. I’m tired. I grieve. I get sad. I pray and reach out to friends. I’ve simply learned and accepted that I can’t do it all!
If things were to change, I was the one who had to change, from the inside out.

What was the first step in reclaiming my balance? I had to kick the whole idea of Supermom to the curb.


Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”

Learning…

Breanna



No comments:

Post a Comment