Monday, August 21, 2017

Megan’s Mantra


“I think you’d get a laugh, if you saw a tall giraffe, swinging by his tail from a tree,
I think an octopus would look quite ridiculous knitting sweaters at the bottom of the sea …”

Did I get your attention? Great! Mission accomplished.
Welcome to Coffee Hour at Chicklit Power and Megan’s Monday Mantra, with Trench Classes United.

The above ditty is from Danny Kaye’s “Tubby the Tuba at the Circus.” It was on the very first album I had as a child. I memorized every word of it.  I caught this catchy little tune playing around in my head a few days ago and I realized its message is just as important today as it was then.

The song, being sung by a sympathetic elephant to a disenchanted Tubby, continues …
“Be yourself - you can’t be anybody else.
Be yourself, is my advice to you
or else you’ll always be a nobody
so, be yourself, or else!”

How many times in my past did I observe someone and wish I possessed a quality they had? How many times did I wish my life was more like someone else’s life or wish I was more like someone else?

When I was 17, I was the fastest hot-dog maker at the Sea World in Ohio. I could steam, bag, and load the hot dogs into their bins in record time, which kept me in the hot and humid main snack bar for the duration of the summer. I seriously doubted this talent would ever serve me well. I longed to be gifted like the animal trainers, or accomplished like the managers. Yet, this seemingly insignificant skill-set, in all of its various forms, has weaved its way through my life, blessing me and making all the difference.

1 Corinthians 12:4-6 (ESV) “Now there are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but the same God who empowers them all in everyone.”

I have often wondered why it is so easy to recognize other people’s gifts and talents but not our own.
Tubby the Tuba wanted to sing like a piccolo and fly like an acrobat, never dreaming his “Um-Pah” could make the elephants dance as they have never danced before!

Are you aware your own gift or talent could make the elephants dance as they have never danced before?

“BE YOURSELF …
I think that you’d be happiest
by being no one else but you.”

Your comments are always most welcome.

Lovingly in Christ,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment