Monday, January 1, 2018

Monday’s Mantra



The ancient Babylonians are said to be the first people to make New Year’s resolutions some 4000 years ago.  During a religious 12-day festival, the Babylonians would crown a new king or reaffirm their loyalty to the reigning king. They would also make promises, or resolutions, to their gods, to pay debts and return the things they had borrowed. If they kept their word, their pagan gods would bestow favor upon them. If not, they would fall out of their gods’ favor – a position no one wished to be in.

Welcome to Coffee Hour at Chicklit Power and Megan’s Monday Mantra with Trench Classes United.

Approximately 42% of all American adults make New Year’s resolutions. Self-improvement, weight, and money related resolutions top the list. Sadly, learning something new, improving relationships, and doing more good deeds for others, land at the very bottom. Only 8% of people who make New Year’s resolutions are successful in achieving them. Thank God the other 92% do not live back in the days of the Babylonians!

There are countless things I would change about myself, but I quit making New Year’s resolutions long ago. I learned, the hard way, living and working in my own strength did not make me successful in achieving my goals. Instead, I have made one life-time resolve: to practice being still in God’s Presence so that He can strengthen me and change the things I cannot or would not change myself.  

To quote Sarah Young, In Jesus calling:

“Come to me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed. Give yourself fully to this adventure of increased attentiveness to My Presence.”

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

Lovingly in Christ,
Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment