Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Struggles are our teachers in the classroom of life! EL




My hands shook as if I had palsy of some kind; my fingers going everywhere except to the designated keys to form the words that were being dictated for all of us to take down, verbatim, with 95.5% accuracy. Why, Lord, why can’t I pass this test?”
Welcome to Coffee Hour with Chicklit Power and Wednesday’s Word with Trench Classes United.
It took me two tries to pass my California Court Reporting test and receive my license and I am so, so glad I didn’t give up. Have you ever been so exasperated, so frustrated you could just scream…or throw something or just give up?
I recently enrolled in an online class, Sociology 101, for several reasons: 1, I needed my CEU credits for my national court reporting license but I have no interest in court reporting education, per say, and 2, I need 12 units to finish my A.S. degree and 3, I truly want to learn more about how to function more effectively in the ministry He has called me to and immersed me in. Honestly, I thought it would be easy, maybe a little challenging, but definitely doable considering my passion to understand people and how their past influences their present and derails them from a fabulous future.
I was WRONG! This class is infuriating and exhilarating all at the same time! I have this sort of love/hate relationship with it. I am extremely challenged, and it is moving at a pace that is putting my brain on supersonic steroids! I am having a hard time keeping up. And when it’s test time, it takes me back to my court reporting days where suddenly everything I’ve absorbed up to that point seems to have fled to hiding places that my brain can’t find!
This season of learning is no different; my first test score was 37 out of 50! I was devastated, beyond frustrated and even infuriated. I really wanted to quit. My brain couldn’t comprehend getting such a low score. After cooling off for a bit, I called my professor sharing my frustration and complaining about the allotted 60 minutes to answer 50 questions. I mean think about it, that’s some pressure there!
He gave me a great study tip and encouraged me to stay in the journey. He let me know he believed I was invested and he was not going to let me fail…or quit. He spoke to me as if I were a friend.
What do we do when we are beyond frustrated, exasperated, and ready to just give up, whether it is from a class that is challenging our minds, or an illness that is draining us of energy, or a relationship that is testing our ability to love?
Treat your struggle like a friend who has something to teach you!
Proverbs 17:17 tells us that a friend loves at all times. Hmmm, think about it: when we need a friend, don’t we go to someone we can trust because we know they will be honest with us? We listen, maybe not always agreeing, but knowing that friend has our best interest at heart. Perhaps your current struggle was sent to be your friend, handpicked from our loving Father to continue to do His will in you that He may work through you.
Thoughtfully,

Kim-Evinda

No comments:

Post a Comment