Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Put your Clothes on! A fun & thoughtful series... from Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power

Colossians 3:12-13a
Therefore as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness,
humility, meekness, longsuffering, bearing with one another and forgiving one another.

Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power...
Coffee Hour @ Chicklit Power…
EL pen Logo with heart
Oh, it’s so good to be with you to talk about clothes, fashion, shopping, just a few of a girl’s favorite things. Grab your coffee and let’s get back to our WOW, aka, our spiritual clothes shopping spree. He’s waiting for us.
Oh, there He is, standing by a rack of such beautiful pieces of clothing. They look to be subtly sparkling, shimmering with beauty, and don’t you just love the bright but calming colors? He’s motioning us to come forward.
“Kindness is used 240 times in the Old Testament and is one of the most important terms of O.T. theology.”
Hmm, I had no idea that kindness was such an Old Testament virtue; I mean it sounds like it’s every bit as important as the law. But as I rewind a few of my favorite Old Testament stories, I have to nod my head in agreement; kindness is a huge part of theology. Oops, He still has some things to share.
“Now, before I have you put this garment on, I need you to understand the basic meanings of this word which always interact strength, steadfastness and love. Any demonstrating and/or understanding which fails to suggest all three inevitable loses some of its richness.”
I have to raise my hand and ask a question here: “So are you saying that kindness involves strength, a sort of persevering or sticking to it, and love?”
“That’s exactly what I’m saying. See, when I tell you kindness involves strength I don’t mean your own.” He smiled and then continued. I will help you wear this garment so it is with my strength that you are able to keep it on. The keeping of the garment is a form of steadfastness, again found only by abiding in Me. And love, well, My love is sufficient for you to draw from to wear and share the garment of kindness.”
Oh, He’s holding out the garment. I feel like a kid in school wanting to be the first in line. “Me, me, me, can I go first?”10-1-13 WOW
He’s chuckling but not at me or you, but with me and you.
“Let me explain one more thing before you put this on.”
I just love how He’s speaking to us, with absolutely no condescension, merely gentle and genuine compassion. “I wish to explain to you about the interaction of kindness with love. Love by itself easily becomes sentimentalized or universalized apart from the covenant I made long ago to make with you. Yet strength or steadfastness suggests only the fulfillment of a legal or other obligation. This is why all three interact with the garment of kindness.”
Wow, all I hear is silence, beautiful, peaceful silence as I allow all that kindness involves seep into my heart that it may wrap around my being. Are you ready to put your garment of kindness on?
Tomorrow we get to shop for one of the most beautiful pieces of clothing that most definitely requires a fashion alteration or two!
Finding my clothes,
Evinda
kim L
Share and Enjoy:
  • email
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment